THUNDERBALL orders are first come 1st serve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1969ivan1

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I am taking orders for THUNDERBALL now. They will be shipped not later than Friday. Please see the website link below for details. They are a first come first serve basis. I will NOT hold one for anyone without payment. Sorry but that is how it will have to be from now on :)

I have added a lot of neat options that people have suggested such as a second voit decal version for the blue cans, brass hardware for the black cans, and much more.

Check it out.....
The FX 50 Fathom is finally here

I think the brass hardware look really cool with the black cans While I would not really suggest

PACKAGE # 3 is a nice deal.. Package # 3 includes the FX Blac

Package # 4 is the best deal for sure.. The 007 Thunderball Black FX 50

International orders must be made via email as the cart system is not set up for that.

realiavn@hotmail.com

Don't have the Thunderball but it's blue brother the Blue Voit 50 Fathom I just got together will hit the quarry tomorrow.

Don't have the Thunderball but it's blue brother the Blue Voit 50 Fathom I just got together will hit the quarry tomorrow.

okay, I'm hooked; gotta have that thunderball reg!

but I gotta know, How involved is it to make this a functioning regulator? are the guts easily obtained?

okay, I'm hooked; gotta have that thunderball reg!

but I gotta know, How involved is it to make this a functioning regulator? are the guts easily obtained?

Pretty easy actually. You will need to find a USD Mistral with the internal working in reasonable condition....fairly easy to find and the outer parts- cans and hoses with are usually the items that are in bad shape, you don't need those. I would put a rebuild kit in the Mistral guts and then it's a simple matter to install them in the new cans and tune it up. I would spring for a reproduction (or one off a early Conshelf) long yoke so you can use a banjo with the reg or you can do the old school way and dive a J valve. If you want it to look brand new, you could have the Mistral parts rechromed before installing them.....or wait and have them rechromed next winter when it's too cold to dive anyway :)
Here is my Faux Voit after it's test runs in the quarry last weekend. I have a banjo and old gauge in this setup. The thunderball edition is the same reg, just different color cans and sticker.

Attachments

• Viot-50-1.jpg
    Viot-50-1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Viot-50-2.jpg
    Viot-50-2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 68
Is there any chance that someone will offer a complete working model ? It would really be great to purchase a new (working) unit. Maybe a deal could be made with Mares to produce a limited addition VOIT model ...... it would sell better than that Aqualung doublehose that was out a while back.

Don't throw the original Mistral cans away though!

Is there any chance that someone will offer a complete working model ? It would really be great to purchase a new (working) unit. Maybe a deal could be made with Mares to produce a limited addition VOIT model ...... it would sell better than that Aqualung doublehose that was out a while back.

Not likely, it would take a good bit of tooling which would run the cost up too high for a limited production run. Too bad USD.....well AL, if they were still USD they might have..did not just drag out old spec sheets and reproduce either the DA or Mistral, it would have sold. Instead they tried to cobble together that POS from current parts. If they thought there was a market and I think there is, they misread what we want.

Don't throw the original Mistral cans away though!

Heaven forbid! They are stored carefully away, never know when I might find a totally trashed Mistral or someone might just produce reproduction internals...I keep eyeing a lathe.

I wouldn't count on Mares to do it, but I do believe the vintage community has either already got something in the works or thinking about it. I don't think it would be that hard to reproduce Mistral guts, or too terribly expensive. Believe me, I've thought about it. I have at least 3 sets of single stage cans that could use internals.

I had a trashed Mistral for mine. I also have my original Mistral and now that I have tested them in the pool together I see no real difference. If you point the venturi straight down the tube the 50F breaths better but may free flow.

Several people are looking at options for the mechanical bits, not necessarily associated with this project. Eventually there will be two stage and single stage blocks but who knows when, how, who etc.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom