New dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ary

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I am looking to buy my first dive computer. I have been diving for about a year and am an advanced open water diver. I am hoping to work towards becoming a divemaster in the next 2-3 months. I am also interested in getting my Nitrox qualification, so I'd prefer a computer that can deal with this.

I am looking for something wrist mounted that has a user replacable battery, costing less than $300-400

I have looked around and like:
Suunto D4
Suunto Vyper
Oceanic Geo
Aeris Manta

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thank you!

I own a D6 but have played extensively with a D4. I can't speak of the others. I had a Suuno Gekko prior to the D6.
In my opinion it comes down to whether you want to wear the device outside of diving.
If you do then the D4 is a great choice if not then the Vyper would be terrific.
The obvious difference is the display and in really murky water (like REALLY dark) it can be a more difficult to see the smaller face of the D4 (At night - use the light!)
Both Suuntos are great devices and the Nitrox set up on both is a complete breeze.
The download capability of both is really good and yes there are Mac versions which you can find elsewhere on this board...so for my money the D4 wins...just.

However the D4 is not a user replaceable battery whereas I believe the Vyper is.
Happy diving!
Scuba_dog

The Suunto Gekko is the work horse of computers IMO. For price, functionality and durability you can't go wrong.

You might also want to consider who you are doing your DMT with. You may be eligible for a nice discount. Another option to bring cost down would be to consider buying a used Gekko. I bet some are listed in the classifieds on SB.

Good luck,

The Sunnto Viper has air, nitrox and gauge mode. It also has a dive log that logs 999 dives and a dive planning feature. I've had a Cobra which is the air integrated version of the Viper for about 7 or 8 years and am very happy with it.

Thank you for all your advice. I finally went with the Suunto Vyper. It seemed to be the most popular option as well as the one that gave most value for its price. Leisurepro.com sold it to me for $242 before shipping - they list it at around $300, but I shopped around and asked for a price match, hence the lower price. Just a tip for anyone looking at this model.

Just a quick note to training and so on. I completely agree with what has been said concerning the need for experience before becoming a divemaster. However, this experience can definately be gained in the course of a year. I am graduating college and hope to work full time for my local dive shop over the next months before starting long term work. I am hoping to hit the water pretty much every day now that I am done with hitting the books. If this that in a couple of months my diving instructor thinks I am good to go, then I'll be thrilled; if not, then I just intend to keep working at it until I am good to go.

Hey Ary...for the price match, who were you able to find that had it for $242 for Leisurepro to drop their price?

I'm a newbie so this might be a stupid question...but do all/most dive computers come with their respective wireless transmitters, or do they have to be purchased seperately?

Sorry to take so long. I think the website where I got the lower price from is scubastore.com

In any case, if you do a price search on google, you can find the cheaper offerings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom