Do You Agree?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferg822

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was recently diving in a local quarry. Me and my buddy were on a platform at about 20-25 feet when we look over and see a teenager struggling with clearing his mask. He began to panic and bolted to the surface. His buddy (obviously older; DM, father, not really sure) grabbed his fin and pulled him back down . Eventually the kid settled down and relaxed. I'm not really sure what to think of this...

Well first off his buddy did the right thing. A rapid ascent from even 25 metres could cause a diver very serious injuries - especially if holding their breaths (which might happen during an underwater panic attack).

However - I don't like the fact that the kid was having difficulty clearing his mask. I appreciate that it is not something that is comfortable, and I know how traumatic the mask flooding or removal and clearing excercises can be during basic training. On the other hand, it's difficult to accomplish anything if you're already panicking.

Underwater problems are best solved underwater, wherever possible.

Safe diving

C.

Yes, that is a really good thing, probably saved him an injury. If you can fix it underwater, you should. 30 feet is pretty close to 1 atmosphere pressure, so if he heald his breath, what could that do to his lungs?

underwater problems need to be solved underwater

the "instinct" to dash for the surface has to be overcome. not sure if the methodology was sound, but the older guy did the right thing

underwater problems need to be solved underwater

the "instinct" to dash for the surface has to be overcome. not sure if the methodology was sound, but the older guy did the right thing

Not sure what else could have been done, given that he was already bolting to the surface and there isn't a really good way of yelling at someone underwater. With little time to think, sounds like a great solution that solved the problem and ultimately probably prevented a problem.

why wait 'til the guy panics and bolts? a good buddy would have stepped in and assisted earlier, perhaps? it's surprising how calming a buddy's touch can be ... just knowing somebody's there with you

anyway, sometimes things get away from you ... i think keeping the guy underwater was the right thing to do

why wait 'til the guy panics and bolts? a good buddy would have stepped in and assisted earlier, perhaps? it's surprising how calming a buddy's touch can be ... just knowing somebody's there with you

anyway, sometimes things get away from you ... i think keeping the guy underwater was the right thing to do

I think this is exactly right, I find when teaching OW mask removal is one of the most common skills new divers are uncomfortable about and often all it takes is a hand on the shoulder to calm them down, relax and accomplish the skill succesfuly.

That being said in the case of a bolting buddy his buddy didnt really have a choice and grabbing them was really the only option and possible saved major injury, but the earlier you act the better

dive safe, practice skills and enjoy

Me and my buddy were on a platform at about 20-25 feet

A rapid ascent from even 25 metres
We're still using stone age units here in the States, Crowley. A foot is about 3/10 of a meter, and about 2/3 of a cubit. :wink:

totally pull him back under. This process also works well on kids who won't clean their room. It's just a "different" version of waterboarding. No one got hurt and the kid got his mind right.

I have to ask why the kid was mask clearing in the quarry to begin with. I would assume if he had problems there then he had problems in the pool. Should have never been in the quarry in the first place. Just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom