What to do after eequalization mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HawaiiFinnFish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Aloha!

I work with a SCUBA company but I go freediving by myself while the tourists are in the water with their SCUBA equipment. I didn't equalize properly the second time at around 55 feet (yes, I know I should have equalized more often but I was going way too fast). My ears hurt a lot now -- guessing I have ruptured eardrum(s) -- and I'm having trouble equalizing at around 25-30 feet. In order to let things heal, should I stop freediving and just snorkel on the surface for a while or is there something I can do to accelerate the healing process. I haven't talked to an otolaryngologist but a fellow diver recommended I stay away from freediving 1-2 months. Can I still continue to freedive around 30 feet?

Aloha & Mahalo,
Marcus

stop diving!!! see a doctor ..I have ruptured an eardrum before ( not dive related )
if you do not want to do permanent damage to your hearing, see a doctor!
stay away from planes too

Whether you have ruptured the drum or not, you should stop subjecting your ear to pressure stress until it is no longer symptomatic. If you have any decreased hearing, or any hissing when equalizing, you should definitely have a good ENT exam.

let me know if I'm correct (if you do see a doctor), I am betting that your eardrum didn't tear, but rather you traumatized it... and there could be fluid putting pressure on the drum from the inside. Not getting a cold are you?

As stated previously, best to let the pain go away before subjecting it to more stress. If it is tore, it'll be a week at least to heal, maybe two, and you should be out of the water until it is healed over. But, my guess is, it's not tore, and you've just strained your ear drum, etc. etc. etc. or strained/plugged your eustachian tube.

well, that is anyway, according to doctoring by holdingmybreath. :)

~ infections? ~

Last edited:
Exactly, not a rupture (symptoms of rupture are: loud pop and immediate vertigo). You bruised inner ear, and that is very sensitive area. Stop diving, until you see ENT doctor or symptoms go away. Hopefully you will not end up with slight buzzing/ringing sound in your ear(s). This condition might be permanent. Its called tinnitis. There is no cure. Ears are very sensitive, equalize with caution and NEVER FORCE IT!!!!!!!!!

Join DAN, their insurance ($80/yr) covers all diving related medical expenses. DAN Divers Alert Network

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom