Need Advice on Purchasing a Spear Gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi and ask for some advice.

I am going to be in Fla next week with some friends and we are going to to some scuba/freediving and spearfishing. As much as possible! I have never spear fished before but am super psyched to try it. I will buying a gun once I arrive in Fla. I have kind of decided on a 42" JBL SUPER CARBINE, I found a store on my way down that has them for $90.00. The info says it will shoot to 22ft but I am a little skeptical. If someone has a better suggestion in that price range please let me know. I wouldnt even mind buying a used gun but would have to get one with good bands or ones that I could replace cheaply. I intend to do mostly shallow water spearfishing and am pretty much interested in shooting anything that we legally can. I also intend to spearfish the waters here in MI for big carp, gar catfish, sheepshead and more so I would like a decent sized gun with a little punch to it. I would really love to have a larger gun like 60" but am worried I wont be able to get it home on the plane so I will have to ship it or something. All of that is extra $$ :mad:.

I hope someone can help me out with some good advice.

I also have a thread where i am looking for some general and more specific info for fishing the Marathon area if anyone can help me out there!

Thanks!
James

If you want power in a small package, look into a used pneumatic gun. Aside from that, 22' is very skeptical, and probably reflects more the length of line to end of spear than the actual effective range. Which is probably more like less than 10'. If your visibility at home where the carp and gar roam is poor, a 42" gun will be too long most of the time. That's what I like about pneumatics. A re-worked 27" (700mm) gun will have as much or more power than that 42" gun.

James,

The minimum guns I'd look at from JBL would be the Explorer series, which offer a lot of gun for the money. The 4D24-L is a 50" gun and it's single flopper spear will be faster and stronger than any of the little double barb screw on points. The D-8 Carbine is shown as a 46" gun, but 21' is not possible, not even with the 4D24-L. JBL is famous for overstating range. The Carbine series are pretty lacking IMO.

For power and close range a good pole spear will out-shoot a short cheap gun. Real good in dirty water and nothing reloads faster. Ray Odor makes good poles in Tampa Bay and in dive stores throughout FL. See Spearfishing Supplies by Ray Odor

hmb, the OP has stated he's on a budget and diving next week... not much time to look for used guns. Pneumo's are more expensive than band guns.
No gun with a short spear will have any real smack, powered by air or band.

Power, range and impact = long spear with sufficient driving force.

Chad

hmb, the OP has stated he's on a budget and diving next week... not much time to look for used guns. Pneumo's are more expensive than band guns.
I agree, just planting the pneu seed for when he gets back and finds it's not the ticket for large carp and less than ideal visibility.

No gun with a short spear will have any real smack, powered by air or band.

Chad
Hey Chad, apparently you've never seen my low vis, short range, modded mini mini sten send the short 8mm shaft clean through large carp. :)

I agree, just planting the pneu seed for when he gets back and finds it's not the ticket for large carp and less than ideal visibility.

Hey Chad, apparently you've never seen my low vis, short range, modded mini mini sten send the short 8mm shaft clean through large carp. :)

What, at point blank range?
I've shot middle sized pneumatics, approx 30" to 36" x 7mm spears, pumped to the max... unimpressed for Florida open waters.

I'll stand by my statement: Power, range and impact = long spear with sufficient driving force.

I prefer 63" x 5/16" or 58" x 9/32" spears, mostly Hawaiian flopper style, freeshaft or with line, occasional slip tips. These will shoot 20' to 25' +, no problem!

Chad

Back
Top Bottom