Morehead City or Hatteras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to Morehead City and Dive with Olympus Diving. They have the Best Dive Operation in the Country. They dive the best wrecks in North Carolina. I dive with them often and have never heard anyone who has ever come away disappointed.

You can't go wrong with diving with Olympus in Morehead City. It's a first class operation and comes highly recommended wherever you look.

:)

RJSDiverNJ:
Go to Morehead City and Dive with Olympus Diving. They have the Best Dive Operation in the Country. They dive the best wrecks in North Carolina. I dive with them often and have never heard anyone who has ever come away disappointed.

Uhm....I agree that Olympus is a first class operation, but just to clarify.....Both Olympus and Discovery take you to the same sites. Just FYI

Uhm....I agree that Olympus is a first class operation, but just to clarify.....Both Olympus and Discovery take you to the same sites. Just FYI

Both first class in my opinion.

Both first class in my opinion.

I am thinking that I would try both and then decide based on various personal preferences. Are there REALLY any differences between the two? Maybe one caters to more of a tec crowd, maybe one leaves the pier later, etc.

Let me start all of this by saying that the similarities are much bigger than the differences. That said, there are some differences that could lead someone to choose one over the other. I have no problems diving with either, and like them both.

On weekdays, Discovery boats leave the docks a bit later than Olympus. Discovery is in Beaufort, while Olympus is in Morehead (minutes apart, but the towns have different feels). Olympus sells single beds in their bunkhouse, while the Discovery bunkhouses are geared towards groups. There is usually a small price difference, with Discovery being a few dollars cheaper. Olympus offers a few more gas options for tech divers. Discovery runs a 6-pack for small groups (along with 2 crew boats) while Olympus has 2 crew boats (so far).

I'm not just being nice when I say that we have a pretty good stable of dive ops in NC. Just for the sake of completeness, there are also a couple of other 6-packs (nice for a custom charter with a small group) and crew boats in the Morehead/Beaufort area. Off the top of my head, I can think of tortugacharters.net , atlantischarters.net , atlanticbeachdiving.com , diverdownscubadiving.com , and maybe 1 or two I don't remember right now. Discovery and Olympus are by far the biggest and longest running.

I started this thread and just thought I'd update you guys on my status since I'm still getting lots of input. I've already booked with Olympus. It looks like I'm just going down alone for a quick dive trip though, as we ended up planning Freeport, Bahamas, for our family trip a few weeks ahead of my NC trip. That should also give me some shark diving, which means I can just go enjoy the wrecks in NC without worrying about whether I'll get to see sharks or not. If I do its a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom