Where on mask do *you* attach your snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agree with MAC431...buy a snorkel you can fold up and put in your BCD. Cressi Corsica is an awesome snorkel that works well when needed, requires no clip (soft rubber slides between mask strap and head - comfortably) and folds up easily so you can put it in your pocket!

:lotsalove:

[If you don't care to use a snorkel, or think it's useless, please skip this post now.]

I always have a snorkel with me for surface swims, hanging out in possibly choppy conditions. I don't want to worry about attaching/detatching it, so it's clipped onto my mask, reasonably close to the frame. Underwater, it sometimes feels in the way though.

I just saw a picture where it looked like the snorkel keeper was way around toward the *back* of the mask strap -- that never occurred to me though, got me thinking, hence this post.

So where do people attach their snorkels to their masks that makes them most happy? Also, let me know if this is with or without a hood (in Monterey, I have a hood obviously; in Hawaii, I don't). I'm not giving up my snorkel, but would love if it i didn't notice it quite so much.

Thanks!

Toward the back is indeed correct. Visualize how the snorkel will be oriented when you are face down. To get the snorkel tip as high as possible out of the water, you need to move the attachement clip/strap further back on your mask strap than most people typically rig them.

If the picture you refer to was of Thal's son in another snorkel thread.... that's about the right spot! :D

And on the topic of purchasing snorkels, the simple old "J"-shaped snorkel is best, and cheaper. No valves, bells or whistles, more streamlined (ignore the foofy snorkel in my avatar, I was just experimenting with a "modern" snorkel for a few dives, but eventually ditched it for my old-style Scubapro "J" which I prefer ).

And he's quite entitled to do that - nowhere do padi standards say you have to wear a snorkel.

PADI standards acutally say instructors MUST have a snorkel. Wearing one is easier and it won't get lost. Attachiong it to the left on the mask starp keeps it clear of other hoses and demand valves.

I wear mine when teaching OW and Rescue. Never when guiding and rarely when teaching AOW.

Honestly, I didn't mind when I had a half descent snorkel, but a DMT lost it on a rescue course I was teaching. Search and Recovery Specialty, anyone?

I don't make enough dough to justify buying another (considering the long list of things I need more urgently... a 5mm, a hood/vest combo, an underwater heater....brrrrrrr), so I'm stuck with my old school rigid piece of crap that really annoys me. It's only a matter of time until I find a good one, though. I'm currently two good masks, three crap snorkels and a wonderful LED torch up since November, so at that rate I should find a descent replacement by Spring. Man, I do love finding what others have lost.

If the picture you refer to was of Thal's son in another snorkel thread.... that's about the right spot! :D

And on the topic of purchasing snorkels, the simple old "J"-shaped snorkel is best, and cheaper. No valves, bells or whistles, more streamlined (ignore the foofy snorkel in my avatar, I was just experimenting with a "modern" snorkel for a few dives, but eventually ditched it for my old-style Scubapro "J" which I prefer ).

I have to agree with LeadTurn_SD. I use the "New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" method when wearing my snorkel, which is how Thal's son is pictured wearing it. You can look in Thal's gallery I believe and find it. The diagram in the book and my experience lead me to wear it in a fashion so that when my mask is angled downward at approximately a 45 degree angle (as in I am looking forward and down, but not only forward or only down) my snorkel top sits at the highest part of my head. This basically makes it a straight vertical line as I swim. I also situate the tube as high in the snorkel keeper as comfortably allowed by the mouthpiece. This keeps the tube as high out of the chops as possible.

I also advocate a simple J snorkel, much like LeadTurn_SD and Thal do.

If you need a link to Thalassamania's profile to facilitate viewing that picture, he is listed in my profile as a friend.

I hope this helped.

Here:

DSCN1663.JPG

DSCN16611.JPG

I'm with MAC431 and with llqwyd.

I actually have that Cressi snorkel he mentions. It folds up beautifully and is deployed and stowed with ease for those surface swims.

When I need it I just slip it up between my mask strap and head. No problem.

The snorkel is one of those items that you were taught to wear. Try diving without it a few times and you'll find that you might up learning you never really need it. I'd still carry one for that just in case moment. It is very freeing not to have that thing on the side of your head hanging up on stuff.

....The snorkel is one of those items that you were taught to wear. Try diving without it a few times and you'll find that you might up learning you never really need it. I'd still carry one for that just in case moment. It is very freeing not to have that thing on the side of your head hanging up on stuff.

I have gone diving without mine. For the dives I typically do (shore dives), I missed it. A lot.

A long, face-down surface swim (there are situations when swimming face down is better) makes the snorkel worth it's weight in gold (now, THAT would be an expensive snorkel :D )

Not all dives require a snorkel. For some dives a snorkel is in the way.... but I think for most divers on most dives, it should not be a problem unless there is a real risk of entanglement.

Proper training, proper positioning, and proper snorkel selection goes a long way to being comfortable using a snorkel. I've never had a problem with wearing one for the dives I do, since 1976, and hope to still be wearing one for the next 30 years of diving :D

Best wishes and Happy Snorkeling :D

Back
Top Bottom