Wow... Is this Common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More importantly, I don't see why the instructor would turn you down regardless, that is just taking money out of his/her pocket.

I am quite sure that our LDS would actually turn me away if i tried to register for another course. We had a disagreement during my OW course and this guy became rude (more rude, actually), obnoxious and downright dishonest. As a result, he has lost thousands of dollars over a $50 disagreement. He continues to lose because i continue to steer people away from his shop. Very short-sighted I think!!!!

Okay, are some of you people the same ones that take your own steak to a nice restaurant and ask them to cook it, right?

Just asking.

I won't rehash the online vs. LDS, either (well, maybe a little). But the people in the LDS do like to be paid, too.

My local LDS is over 60 miles away, but the service is outstanding. If I want to buy something, he allows me to try it out first, if I like it, I buy it. Also, if I upgrade later on, he takes what I already bought from him back in trade, for whatever I paid for it. I cant think of better service than that. Also, I noticed that on most things, I've been able to get it for the same price as online. I"m not sure how or why he is able to do this, but all I know is I'll be supporting this LDS with all of my future purchases.

Break down of $ from LDS(He said about) / What I paid

BC-$1100 / BC-$230.00
Reg-$825.00 / Reg-$199.00
Octo-$300.00 / Octo-$83.00
DC-$1100.00(2 display) / DC-$350.00(3 display)

While you can often get discounts by shopping around (online and in person), these prices are either for different equipment or one place or the other has lost it's grip on reality.

For example, it's entirely possible to pay $700 for a really excellent regulator (I beleive list price on the the Atomic M1 is around there), however there's absolutely no way anybody could sell it for $199 unless they had some sort of bet going on to see who could lose the most money. On the other hand, it's also possible to buy a crappy reg that isn't worth $199.

Same goes for the Dive Computer. You can certainly buy an $1100 computer (or even one that approaches $2,000. You can also get one for less than $200, however they're not all the same and nobody can sell you the $1100 computer for $350 even if they sell it at cost.

If you would care to post the actual brand names and models of what you bought, I'm sure people can tell you if you got hosed or got a great or average deal.

Terry

The LDS owner sounds like a jerk. On the other hand, talking to them about the gear might before your purchase might have mellowed the response. Regardless, this is life. You are looking out for yourself and so are they. If their profit margin was more than sending your gear to an authorized dealer then you did the right thing. Authorized is the key word here!

Okay, are some of you people the same ones that take your own steak to a nice restaurant and ask them to cook it, right?

No, but I will sometimes take a bottle of wine to a nice restaurant and have them serve it. You pay about $15-25 (plus a tip) for this service. And you have to check before hand if they will and how much they will charge.

Restaurants know how to deal with this and still make a profit.

I had a LDS send me an E-MAIL saying I could dive with "them" on a boat (that I dive off
all the time) as long as I take a course with them. I bet I flushed more salt water through
the head than the guy swam in! He doesn't know me and I don't care to know any more about
them or thier shop! Talk about strong arm.
See you topside! John

[Quote="emmaboo']
Break down of $ from LDS(He said about) / What I paid

BC-$1100 / BC-$230.00
Reg-$825.00 / Reg-$199.00
Octo-$300.00 / Octo-$83.00
DC-$1100.00(2 display) / DC-$350.00(3 display)
[/Quote]

I don't know what brand that guy is selling but I got top of the line gear for a lot less than that (I did pay more than the internet price though)....

My stuff is AquaLung/SeaQuest...

BC was around $600
Reg was $500
Octo was $100
SPG & Depth Gauge in console was $200
Suunto Vyper 2 Computer was $500 (just bought a Vyper Air :hoseless Air integrated: for $900)

Sure I could save money going online but my LDS is great. I spent about $700 buying used gear of Craigslist and he looked through it all, serviced the good advised on what to throw away and he even sold me a used pink BCD for my wife for $50 and an AL80 cylinder for $150 (freshly hydro & VP+). I know I could have bought an AL80 online for $150 + $30 shipping but so what.

I might have been able to save a bit buying everything online but then I wouldn't have the Manufacturer's Warranty.

I agree with the other poster that you aren't comparing like products. Put the exact product with the price and see what a difference there is.

Back
Top Bottom