new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funnyfish22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi i have just made a big investment in gear today. very happy with what i got, but as i am new to diving i would like to know the best way to dry and store the gear after a dive.
Thanks.

Congratulations on making the investment. I hope it brings you many years of happy diving.

The most important thing to remember about caring for your equipment is to rinse it thoroughly after diving, before it has a chance to dry out. Once dried and crystalized, salt is much harder to rinse off.

If using in a chlorinated pool, prompt and complete rinsing is doubly improtant because the chlorine is extremely hard on wetsuits and BCs.

Other things to note. Be sure to remember to cover the valve port on your first stage, and do not press the purge on second stages while submerged, lest water enter and floods the system.

On BCs, rinse the inside of the bladder and run the rinse water through the inflator hose and all the dump valves after every few dives and definitely before storage, to make sure no salt acumulates inside.

Wash and dry your mask after diving and store it in a closed box, without anything else inside, to prevent oxydation of the skirt.

For storage find a cool dry place, and store BCs and wetsuits hung on wide hangers so as to prevent strain or creases. Put your regs on a shelf with the hoses gently coiled, not stressing the ends. The rest is basic common sense, like not storing your fins bent unless you want them to retain the new shape.

The best way to dry and store gear between dives is Temporarily!

The best way to dry and store gear between dives is Temporarily!

Hey, if your gear is DRY you've stored it too long!

:d

Back
Top Bottom