Diving after breast surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sometime this year, I'll have a breast reduction surgery. I was wondering if some of you had that surgery and how long after were you able to dive again.

Hi there

I can help you with that. I had a medical breast reduction in Nov last year and asked the plastic surgeon that very same question. The "rule of thumb" (their words) is they like patients to wait is 6-8 weeks post op but as always, best to ask your surgeon because it may also depend on the type of reduction you have.

Hope it all goes well for you but be prepared to feel really really sick afterwards. It's really worth it but just a warning to brace yourself. In the recovery room they told me that breast reduction and one other type of surgery give the worst post op sickness but they have no idea why.

Nicky

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. I can't wait to have these two enormous things reduce to a managable and normal size. I just don't, absolutly don't understand why some women would like to have them augmented.

I guess it always that wanting what you haven't got thing but we know better!!! I also started taking Arnica Montana (homeopathic remedy for pain and bruising) 2 days before the op and took it for the week after and didn't have to take any prescription pain killers. Good luck with it and enjoy your new girls. :)

I had to have a mastectomy in June 2007. I was devastated that my diving was to be interrupted mid research season especially when told that I wouldn't be able to dive for 18 months whilst undergoing treatment (chemotherapy & radiotherapy).

Diving is my occupation as well as my passion and I was determined to keep the disruption to a minimum. I went diving on the morning of my operation, not knowing when I'd be able to go under again.

In Sept 2007 I couldn't stand missing out any longer and decided to give it a try on a shallow shore dive. It was fantastic to be underwater again and felt fine, despite being on chemo. So I continued to dive 3 weeks a month, just missing out during the worst few days after each dose of chemo.

During early 2008 I had radiotherapy and continued diving throughout the year, though I had to avoid the sun where I'd had the treatment.

This February I had reconstruction surgery and a breast reduction on the remaining breast, and I am now diving again.

So, good luck with the op. After 6 - 8 weeks you should be fine to go diving again.:)

Gaynor,
I hope you are cancer free!

I think 6-8 weeks you are past any concerns of blood clots or infection etc. I had surgery on my hip and all the prophylaxis for clots etc will end at 6 weeks.
For those of us who are less endowed I chuckle as I don't think that will ever be a surgery (elective breast reduction) I will need to have. Yet, I wouldn't want augmentation either. I can see how the girls would get in the way of being a healthy active person. Best of luck

Small update, my surgery is scheduled for wednesday june 17.

I'm starting to feel a little anxious about it.

Surgery done!

I entered the hospital at 7 am on the 17 and got out 12 hours later. The opreation went well. I nos have a "bustier" made of sparadrap I must keep for a week. I go back to the hospital to get them removed on the 25. Then I will ask to the surgeon when I will be able to dive again. I estimate it won't be before august though.

I'm now almost free from the "bustier". I still have some stich with diachilon protecting them.
Thank god I can now take a shower! I can't go in the pool though, not for 2 more weeks.

I'm healing well, but right now, I would go diving. To afraid to tear apart everything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom