Looking for Warm Europe area dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno about Albania, but where i am in South Eastern Spain, (Murcia) the diving is of knockout quality, Viz in summer can be 30 metres+ on many occasions average would be around 15-20metres, sea temps in July are 25-26'C winter lowest is around 13-14'C. Where i am in Puerto de Mazarron there are more wrecks than you can shake a stick at, many of them un-documented (infact only yesterday i recieved an email from a friend saying that they just discovered a huge freighter off the coast of La Manga, probably been down since the 1940's at the moment they are gearing up for a survey on it, on top of that they found a further 7 previously undiscovered wrecks last year alone Welcome to Deep Impact Diving Centre - Home
As for sterile life, its teeming here we have protected Marine reserves which overspill into the surrounding locality, fish life is amazing, grouper, barracuda, massive toothed bream, Octo's, cuttlefish, rays, the list just goes on and on. You just cant get bored here there are dive sites a plenty if you stopped in my town for a week and did 3 dives a day you wouldnt fit all the dive sites in that are within 30 minutes by boat from the port.. Im spoilt!

Hi Lawrence

Contrary to what has been said, the Mediterranean sea has a very rich biodiversity, with up to 12,000 recorded marine species, and new species still being discovered. The coastal zones supporting marine seagrasses like Posidonia oceanica are particularly productive as they are the breeding habitats for many important species.

The Medes Islands Protected Zone, with its 65,000 annual dives, is a model of good management. All the underwater environments to be found in the Mediterranean are represented in the seabed around the Medes Islands, making this little archipelago an area of exceptional ecological value.

Jacques Cousteau visited the Medes Islands in his marine research vessel Calypso back in 1955. He drew attention to the need to research, record and preserve the rich ecosystems that he found whilst diving there. Over 1,345 different marine species have been recorded there since that time and the Medes Islands ecosystem is deservedly classified as the best nature reserve in the western Mediterranean. There are 10 buoyed dive sites, providing great diving all year around.

If you'd like to make this part of your trip see the links below.

Northern Red Sea (especially Ras Mohamed national park) is lovely, and a 5 hour flight from UK. very cheap to stay there and I've been on many trips diving with Grand Blue Dive Centres who are very good. They pick you up from any hotel in Sharm and really look after you. Also have shore bases at Reef Oasis, Farana and Shores Oasis/Amphoras hotels. If you can get as far as the Red Sea as part of your trip you won't be disappointed.
Happy diving :)

Back
Top Bottom