Beware of Dive Chronicles photo contests!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to highjack this thread, but a few years back I won a small contest here on Scubaboard and never recieved my prize, contacted them a few months later as to my prize they (Scubaboard) apologised and said they would post it to me. (Still Waiting)

The following is the original message I received from Scubaboard back in 2005.

Congradulations, you're a winner in the 2005 Fall Diver Dude contest
Congratulations again, your entry to the diver dude photo contest was among the top 3 submissions. Unfortunately some technical issues have prevented us from displaying the vote totals but we have confirmed the scores internally. Thank you for entering and now for the best part... your prize!

ScubaBoard will be sending you a goodie bag filled with a small assortment of items. To do this we will need your full name, mailing address and the shirt size. We also will be creating a special badge that you can use in your account, I will inform you when this is complete. Please allow 4 weeks for your prizes to arrive.

Once again thank you for entering the contest and submitting your wonderful photo!

fergyjohn:depressed:

Ouch, NetDoc - kettle meet pot. In multiple ways. Pete, usually you are very good about educating yourself when controversy arises. But come on just because the thread is not scubaboard does not mean the problem does not exists. And if did you read the thread other people did mention that they submit a credit card that was charge yet no prize.

To whit:

"I just spoke with Susan Mears, one of the people I mentioned above and whose name is also on the banner that has been posted earlier. She did not use an AmEx card for her entry fee, her card was charged for the fee, and she has been unable to get any response regarding her prize."

Robyn_s_pic.jpg

I didn't read the thread... it's not on here!

...there are two sides to this story.

But it was linked here, and one presumes given your involvement here that you know how to use "teh Internets". Or does information outside of Scubaboard not count?

I understand you do business with him and can't leap wholeheartedly onto an internet lynching. But passing on comments like "bogus card" that sounds like an accusation against the entrant, without yourself reading "both sides" of the story is a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

Unless all the posters on all the various threads about this (including one at D2D at ScubaDiving Mag) are lying, it appears that multiple prizewinners haven't gotten their prizes. Did they all have "bogus cards"? Does the contest management have no ability to filter out photos with no or invalid entry fees before judging?

I didn't read the thread... it's not on here! I did talk to one of the peeps involved with the show about the bogus card. I have no dog in this fight other than to mention that there are two sides to this story. I have done business with Brad and he has never bilked me out of money. In fact I trust him and consider him a friend. Perhaps the person in question can provide proof that their credit card was processed? THAT would prove Brad a fraud. Other than that, it's just someone trying to get something for nothing, which is pretty common nowadays.

I must say that I am very disappointed by this reply. I thought that you were an honorable guy. Responding with "bogus" and intimating that the winner was a cheat is horrible. AND you admit to not reading the offending thread! Wow! If you want to defend your scummy buddy (Yes, I did read the other thread), call him up and get his view point. If he alleges that she did not pay the entry fee for any reason, don't award her first prize. How can you award a prize if the entry is not valid? How can you even display her pictures?

I have to say that after reading the original thread, he seems to be a nefarious guy indeed. I would hate to see tolerance of that kind of attitude on SB. Does he spend THAT much on advertising?

I have no dog in this fight other than to mention that there are two sides to this story. I have done business with Brad and he has never bilked me out of money. In fact I trust him and consider him a friend.

Then you do have a dog in this fight.

The prize is being re-awarded to the next in line.

Or not be re-awarded to the next in line if indeed no prizes have been awarded.

Ask your friend if prizes have been delivered to all the "good tickey" winners. Then post.

Not to highjack this thread, but a few years back I won a small contest here on Scubaboard and never recieved my prize, contacted them a few months later as to my prize they (Scubaboard) apologised and said they would post it to me. (Still Waiting)

The following is the original message I received from Scubaboard back in 2005.

Congradulations, you're a winner in the 2005 Fall Diver Dude contest
Congratulations again, your entry to the diver dude photo contest was among the top 3 submissions. Unfortunately some technical issues have prevented us from displaying the vote totals but we have confirmed the scores internally. Thank you for entering and now for the best part... your prize!

ScubaBoard will be sending you a goodie bag filled with a small assortment of items. To do this we will need your full name, mailing address and the shirt size. We also will be creating a special badge that you can use in your account, I will inform you when this is complete. Please allow 4 weeks for your prizes to arrive.

Once again thank you for entering the contest and submitting your wonderful photo!

fergyjohn:depressed:

Even though I wasn't involved with this contest, I feel bad about this.

Please contact me by PM to get this resolved.

Net Doc,

Since you have no dog in this fight, please contact your good friend again and ask the following:

Hi xxxxxx,

I want to rid the world of these scurrilous charges against you being spread around the internet. It will give me great pleasure to put these people in their place. All I need to clear your good name is for you to answer the following questions:

1) Have all the prizes been delivered that were won by legitimate entries in the aforementioned photo contest?

2) If not, why haven't they been delivered and when can delivery be expected?

3) You told me that the disputed prize is being re-awarded to the next in line. Does this mean that the 2nd place winner has returned the 2nd place prize and received the first place prize and there is now a new 3rd place prize?

4) If prizes have been awarded, could you supply me with the e-mails of the prize winners so I can confirm receipt of the prizes? I will not reveal these addresses, nor will I pass them along to anyone.

This will finally allow me do dismiss the various postings as the rants of sore loser with a bad credit card as I have already done with my postings defending you. I would hate to look like I'm playing favorites in my position as SB Staff member and a good friend and business partner of yours by being totally dismissive of any negative postings without reading the entirety of the complaint.

Please provide the information so I won't look like I created a strawman argument by saying it was all about "bogus" credit card of one entrant rather than addressing the issue of prizes not being issued to all winners.

Regards,

Net Doc

Give it a try. Once you varified that prizes have been received I will gladly cross post it on other boards to help re-instate the reputation of Dive Chronicles.

What say you?

I didn't read the thread... it's not on here! I did talk to one of the peeps involved with the show about the bogus card. I have no dog in this fight other than to mention that there are two sides to this story. I have done business with Brad and he has never bilked me out of money. In fact I trust him and consider him a friend. Perhaps the person in question can provide proof that their credit card was processed? THAT would prove Brad a fraud. Other than that, it's just someone trying to get something for nothing, which is pretty common nowadays.

I'm the person who put the original post on Wetpixel about not receiving my prize from the photo contest at the FL Dive Show which was sponsored by Dive Chronicles.

As others have stated, I'm shocked and disappointed by your thoughtless reply, especially since you admitted that you didn't even read the thread.

I'm offended by your accusatory statement relating to a 'bogus card' because if you had bothered to read the thread, you would realize that there was no bogus card at all. Furthermore, I'm offended by your libelous quote in which you stated that I was 'trying to get something for nothing'. I entered the contest in good faith, as I called Dive Chronicles and gave my Amex number from a card that was in good standing. Brad Nolan simply does not accept Amex, but his staff member nor myself knew that and my cc# was readily accepted when I called. At no time did anyone try to inform me that Amex wasn't accepted and ask for a MC or VISA number instead.

In light of these facts, I was STILL chosen as the first place winner of the WA DSLR category. To me, this only shows disorganization on the part of the contest sponsor.

Moreover, what you would also find out by reading the thread is that it wasn't the prize itself that I was so concerned about. In fact, I stated that I'm unsure as to whether I would even use my 'supposed' prize which should have been a few free nights at the Divi Resort. Given all the out-of-pocket expenses I'd incur if I tried to put a complete dive trip together, it would be a lot more than I'd want to spend.

What DID have me very concerned is that when I looked into this matter, I discovered that there were at least 5 other people who hadn't received their prizes (4 months after the contest!), nor did they receive any response to their emails and calls. When I looked even further, I discovered there were STILL MORE people who had been denied their prizes...both from the contest in question and from past contests sponsored by Dive Chronicles.

I really think you need to get your facts straight before making such strong statements NetDoc. Please read the thread in its entirety and then let us know if you think that Brad Nolan is the honest and trustworthy person that you make him out to be.

Robyn Churchill

Welcome to Scubaboard Robyn!

Thanks for coming on and posting so NetDoc won't have to go and read the thread I posted at the beginning. (Although I suspect he had read it all along)

I hope you will enjoy being an active member of Scubaboard. There are a lot of great folks on here and this is a great place to learn/share thoughts and ideas on all kinds of topics related to scuba diving. And trust me when I tell you that you will find very few people on here that will have/display the attitude that NetDoc has taken with his comments and use of what many would consider a racial slur in "No tickey, no laundry" I don't think that is usually tolerated on here.

You will find many more people like "El Orans" who obviously understands what it means and the importance of good customer service/relations. Perhaps he will teach that class someday and Mr. Nolan and NetDoc will be on the first row.

1. Brad ought to first get his competition organized in such a way that entries should have fees paid before even being considered. Unless of course he'd only charge for winning entries, which would make the competition very popular.
2. Brad should also learn to accept that he screwed up and not get confrontational , insisting his premise of letting an entry be selected as a winner and then disqualify it because fees weren't paid, is absolutely valid.
3.No tickey no laundry?!? Is that your idea of a witty comment? Or did you catch one too many bad 50s and 60s western reruns? Hardly surprising for a person who joins in a conversation without getting his facts first. Please remove my membership from this board if the head of the board uses insensitive racist comments to prove a point.

As you can see, fergyjohn now has a different complexion (courtesy of a free Supporting Membership for a year).

It's the least we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom