Weight Hog. How much do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VancouverBC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much lead do you carry?

Been diving for 18 years on and off but new to Drysuit diving. I have fairly buoyant gear and a large BC (Fusion). First time I went out I tried 34 pounds....definitely not enough. Tried 39..wasn't enough to sink me so I had to use a line to pull myself down. Was OK at 25 feet and beyond, but as soon as I hit half tank up I went. Tried 44 lbs...still not enough to sink me at the surface.

Tomorrow I'm going out with 50 pounds and hoping it will allow me to actually finish a dive this time. Is it normal to need this much weight? How much weight are you using?? :D

Last edited:
In general it depends on the the type of suit, the undergarmets, and your dive kit. I have a trilam drysuit and wear farily thick undergarmets (for around here), but I dive doubles. With doubles I don't need any weight. With a single tank and no undergarmets (or very thin), I can get away with no to minimal weight (less than 5 pounds).

If I remember correctly, I used in the 30 lb range when I used a jacket bc and a compressed neoprene drysuit.

50 lbs is alot of weight. Alot more than I would expect.

I'm sure you are shortly going to get a number of useful replies (and links to lots of threads discussing proper weighting). A couple of points:

1) Everyone's buoyancy is different, and depends heavily on your exposure protection and gear. People diving dry with steel doubles and a steel backplate probably aren't wearing any weight. People in neoprene suits and thick undergarments, using a conventional (buoyant) BCD, and AL80s may require a small Volkswagen to get down.

2) You probably aren't venting your drysuit completely. I started diving dry last year and did take a course. The checkout dives were done in a rented suit with cobbled together undergarments. When my new suit and undergarments arrived I did a weight check and did a couple easy dives in the quarry. By the 3rd weekend at the quarry I'd dropped over a third of the weight I thought I needed (from 24lbs to 14). Part of it was just getting more comfortable (and one unintentional ascent shortly after decent, at which point I finally realized the importance of the chicken wing and in giving the suit/BC time to adjust to changes).

3) Be very careful if you are wearing that much weight. Don't put all your eggs in one basket (spread the weight around), but be sure you can ditch enough to become positive at the surface.

I'm a big guy and don't use anywhere near 50lbs, even with a single tank and my drysuit.
Are you using a single AL tank?
Are you wearing a ton of undergarments?
Where do you put that much weight?

Thx for the replies. I did look through pages and pages of "weight" questions before posting. The drysuit is vented as much as it can be and the weight is spread around - 10 lbs in trim pockets, 10 pounds in the surelock ditch pockets, 4 lbs ankle, balance in the belt. When diving the Fusion in the tropics, I need 18 pounds and that's wearing a 3 mil shorty.

Tomorrow I'm going out with 50 pounds and hoping it will allow me to actually finish a dive this time. Is it normal to need this much weight?

I crew on a dive boat here in NJ where I've seen plenty of BIG guys diving dry with neoprene dry suits and lots of thick undergarments.

I don't think I have EVER seen anyone wearing 50lbs of lead. Not even close.

Hi Team. Yep single AL. To top of it a large floaty BC, positive fins, positive 6 pocket neoprene belt, heavy thermals (40F water), and a 3cube spare air. All floaty :D

Your comments so far are a little concerning...but at the same time math is math. With an empty BC and vented Drysuit, I'm still positive with 44 lbs on the surface.

Thx for the replies. I did look through pages and pages of "weight" questions before posting. The drysuit is vented as much as it can be and the weight is spread around - 10 lbs in trim pockets, 10 pounds in the surelock ditch pockets, 4 lbs ankle, balance in the belt. When diving the Fusion in the tropics, I need 18 pounds and that's wearing a 3 mil shorty.

Based soely on this, I'd say you are not venting your suit or BC enough. I use a touch more weight in a full 3mm diving tropical but top out with 35lbs for cold water/drysuit diving.

Hi Team. Yep single AL. To top of it a large floaty BC, positive fins, positive 6 pocket neoprene belt, heavy thermals (40F water), and a 3cube spare air. All floaty :D

Your comments so far are a little concerning...but at the same time math is math. With an empty BC and vented Drysuit, I'm still positive with 44 lbs on the surface.

Something's not right. How tall/heavy are you?

Back
Top Bottom