Breath Hold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe it varies alot, or are you asking for more experienced free divers??

I do believe it varies alot, or are you asking for more experienced free divers??

Just trying to get a idea, 30 sec 60 sec experienced diver or new to free diving.

Kenny

I know it varies.. water conditions and just what kind of a day you're having, and if you are sight seeing, going for depth, or spearfishing, it can all make a difference. Usually the first dives are the shortest and then they get progressively longer. A person might start out with only 30-45 second breath holds and a bit later be getting 4 times that or more. Truthfully though, if I look back at my suunto, most of the dives are around a minute in poor water, and closer to 2 minutes in good water. Some people I dive with stay under longer, and some don't stay under quite so long. Here's a thought if you are wondering about time and depth, it only takes a bit over 1 minute to get beyond 100' and back.

For Northern California cold water Abalone diving, I tend to work around 20-40' for about 45s. If I am taking pictures, I may go 20-35' for longer than a minute. It depends how much energy I expend and how relaxed/comfortable I am.

It depends a lot on how active you are. If you are just relaxing, not working hard, you will last a lot longer.

My avg. is around 30 to 40 sec's in spearfishing mode at the lake which is mostly low visibility water, 30' is the deepest I dove. I do have a upper torso buoyancy issue when submersing, what I need to do is some how distribute some of the weight to my upper torso area to level me off. If I can take care of the ladder, I am sure I can do much better holding my breath. I seen some youtube video clips of spearfisherman with back-plate/weight vest, which is interesting.

alex, take a look at some of the exercise weight vests, they might work for you. most are between $100 and $200.

holdingmybreath & cmburch,
thanks for your input. I need some where between 3 lbs(shorty wetsuit) to 6 lbs of weight(thick wetsuit) around the upper torso area. The seacsub would be more ideal in my situation. If I can find that youtube video, a spearfisherman had a cross over or regular harness with lead weights on it (can't remember if the weights was on the front or back). I prefer soft-weights on the upper back area, and I bet I can shave almost 1/2 the weights I been using. The seacsub seems like a great solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom