Diving near Amarillo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up in Amarillo, but left in '97. The only one I know about is that's close is the Blue Hole which is a couple hours away. Maybe somebody's added something since I left.

When I lived in Lubbock everyone went to Balmorhea - which isnt that close. And as the SW flight attendants used to say, "In the event that we encounter water between Lubbock and Dallas, your seat cushion may be used as a flotation device." ;P

The only decent diving I found nearby is Blue Hole in New Mexico, about 2.2 hours due west.
Its a decent dive, water is clear, 61. The aquatic life is skimpy (crayfish and a few goldfish plus some carp). There are some artifacts left by other divers. Its 81 feet down to the bottom. Its fun, but its not the ocean. The local lakes in the panhandle area are mud holes.

If you want to dive, PM me. I am out there once a month. There are others on SB that also use it as a local watering hole. You can find most of them on the Rocky Mountain Oysters forum. Keep in mind it is an altitude dive, so you have to compensate.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom