PG or Dumaguete in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thrownoverbored

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi friends! Long time since I've been on the board, but sadly I haven't had time to go back home to the PI in a while :(

My husband (new diver, has never been to the Philippines before either) and I (PADI OW since 2006) are going on our honeymoon in August, and I'm trying to figure out whether to go to Dumaguete or Puerto Galera for six days. We'd like somewhere relaxing but with some nightlife, beautiful topside and underwater (of course!) and most importantly, where we won't get rained out bc of typhoon. PG is much closer to my family in Manila but it seems like Dumaguete is a safer bet bc of the weather?

Or do you have another suggestion of somewhere easily accessible from Manila that fits the bill (I'd say Palawan but don't like wreck diving, and I've dove Anilao, Balicasag/Alona Bch area, and Boracay before).

Any advice and recs appreciated!!! :)

Anilao is a good bet.....
Either way, August is hit or miss with the weather. If you are really interested in "just" diving then go to DUMA. If you are going to do the family thing then Anilao is the ticket. I wouldn't honeymoon in PG unless you are doing some serious dive training at the same time. The Atlantis at DUMA is a good choice for honeymooners (Matt! Assist here?).

hey

i second dgte. but aug is typhoon season in the phils, so baby's right. its a hit or miss.

what you can try is davao (stay at pearl farm since its your HM :)) and gen san. typhoons don't reach that far south. and there's a lot of topside activities you can do too. and its generally pretty safe. i've been on dives there where it rained hard the prev day, but viz was still pretty good.

i agree with neugerig on Davao. no typhoons in davao. there may be rains during that period but at least you can still dive. and pearl farm is a nice place for honeymoon. too quiet though. no nightlife. you may have to cross the waters over to davao city for some nightlife. then you can stay in marco polo. its off season so rates may be a bit better. fr.m the city, you can go whitewater rafting, visit the crocodile farm, go to the philippine eagle conservation project, visit eden mountain resort and the orchid farm. and dont forget to try the civet coffee at kangaroo cafe. much cheaper than if you get it in the US.

For PG stay on one of the La Laguna beaches and it fits the bill for "somewhere relaxing but with some nightlife, beautiful topside and underwater (of course!)". As said, the weather will be hit or miss. Last year I went to PG in august and it was perfect weather for a vacation.

I'm unfamiliar with the night life in Duma, but it has everything else mentioned.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Question about Davao- if we fly to Davao, should we stay there or directly on Samal Island? Also, any particular dive operators or lodging you'd recommend?

I looked up Pearl Farm- beautiful but FAR too expensive for our budget! We want something nice (with aircon and clean, really) but doesn't have to be that luxury.

lodging: depends on how important nightlife is for you. no nightlife on samal island but you got nice beaches and its closer to the dive sites. i think paradise island resort has more reasonable rates and they also have a nice beach. its also a short boat (10 mins) ride to mainland davao. for dive op, i like wind and wave since they have a speed boat. rates among dive shops vary by only a small amount. wind and wave is also the dive op in paradise island and pearl farm. i am not a dive pro and these are my personal preferences based on my frequent trips to davao. other davao-based divers may have other opinions.

yeah, the pearl farm is pricey. like jigo said, you can stay in the city or choose to stay in samal island. i suggest a few nights in samal, and a few nights in the city. :)

my wife's from davao, that's why i go there quite often.

alternative resorts in samal would be hof gorei, chemas, punta del sol, and blue jaz. just google them. chemas and blue jaz are right beside paradise island resort.

punta del sol has a dive shop so they can handle your diving needs. not sure about the others.

for city accomodations, a google search would give you a ton of options. if you're adventurous, try out ponce suites - Ponce Suites, Davao City, Philippines

as for dive op, wind and wave is probably the most professional in my experience. and carabao divers is the cheapest (but maybe that's bec i'm a regular and the crew and owners know me). haven't tried davao scuba divers.

If it has to fit the bill, Atlantis in Duma might not work out. Have a look at Thalatta Resort, at the moment by far the resort with the best value with a good kitchen just wonderful landscaping. The diving is run by easy diving.
It is actually way cheaper than it looks...

Thalatta from my pov
Thalatta HP

cheers

Rhoody

Back
Top Bottom