CO2/O2 tolerance tables tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Believe what you want, but when faced with creditable science attempting to put it aside will silly remarks that don't apply (hint, what exactly is IHT?) is a waste of everyone's time.

As both an avid free diver, a diving scientist, and perhaps the only diving instructor you've ever come in contact with who does extensive free diving training with all his students, I was hoping to learn something here.

As both an avid free diver, a diving scientist, and perhaps the only diving instructor you've ever come in contact with who does extensive free diving training with all his students, I was hoping to learn something here.

Good for you in doing extensive freedive training with all your students, I'm so proud of you, we need more people just like you. Not enough instructors include even the simplest of snorkeling in their classes. I also take my hat off to you for looking to advance your knowledge of what goes on with the body during freediving. There is so much reading out there, I know. And at such an intellegent level, I can hardly comprehend it.

Hey, you know, maybe you can use the shirkas as an example in your class. Or a basketball team that goes to Denver to play for the first time. Do you think the shirka isn't getting intermittant lower levels of O2 while exercising (you know, by going up and down the mountain)? I thought it was a perfect example.

..Believe what you want, but when faced with creditable science attempting to put it aside will silly remarks that don't apply (hint, what exactly is IHT?) is a waste of everyone's time.

Was this a slam at me? Whoah.. I am so sorry for offending you.

Good for you in doing extensive freedive training with all your students, I'm so proud of you, we need more people just like you. Not enough instructors even include the simplest of snorkeling in their classes. I also take my hat off to you for looking to advance your knowledge of what goes on with the body during freediving. There is so much reading out there, I know. And at such an intellegent level, I can hardly comprehend it.

Hey you know, maybe you can also use the shirpas as an example in your class. Or a basketball team that goes to Denver to play for the first time. Do you think the shirpa isn't getting intermittant lower levels of O2 while exercising (you know, by going up and down the mountain) I thought it was a perfect example.

Was this a slam at me oh great one?
No, if I'd have slamed you, you've have stayed slammed grasshopper.

er ... that's Tibet, with a capital "T."

Last edited:
Hello JennyWren,

Thank you for posting this great info and for building the workout tool. I have a couple of questions about the non-breath hold times.

First, the period just prior to the initial breath hold. Is this a "breathe up" period? I.e. slow, deep breaths? Because slow is a relative term, approx how long should one cycle of exhale/inhale take? Same question for the periods between breath holds? Does one breath normally e.g. as I am now doing whilst I two-finger type or should this be a deep breathing period or perhaps a combination of the two?

Thank you,

Couv

For me, I use all longer ventilations for breathe-ups. For shorter holds ( < 2:30 ) I do slow breaths until 30 seconds of ventilation remain. My "slow breaths" are inhale for 1s, wait for 2s, exhale for 10s, wait for 2s. Then from 30s to 10s I do a modified version, inhale for 1s, exhale for 5s. Then from 10s to the start of the hold I do a couple of purge breaths and my peak inhalation. For longer holds ( > 2:30 ) I start the modified (1s/5s) pattern at about 1 minute of ventilation remaining.

Of course for shorter ventilations (harder tables, end of CO2 tables) you're pretty much going to have to skip the slow breaths!

Thalassamania - the information about these tables (purpose, times, explanations) I learned through the PFI course. I'm not sure if the explanation has scientific evidence, but at least for me it seems to help me improve my static times. I've not yet samba'd or BO'ed though, so I don't know if doing the O2 tolerance tables has increased my time-before-BO. I'm a weenie and not great at pushing myself, plus I'm new at this.

I'm keen to hear what other people have discovered, including their own experiences and any articles they may have read on the subject.

I'm going to try it Any technique that makes it easier for my students is what I want.

Thanks for a great app. I took a freediving certification course not too long ago and was looking for something like this.

Not an IT guy but how cool would it be to be able to "dump" the table (ie the sounds) into an mp3 file (or even better layer it in with your favorite relaxing tunes), then you could run through the exercises anywhere with your mp3 player.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom