Weight belt rental in west Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O

Contributor
Reaction score
The FAQ postings in the reference section here give some really great information on Hawaii, operators, etc. I do have a question, though, with a slight wrinkle.

Next week I'll be going to Maui and staying a week on Napili Bay. I'll be bringing freediving gear (long fins etc) with the hopes of doing a lot of freediving from the shore. The one piece of equipment I'd need to rent is a weight belt. In the past I've run into trouble trying to rent a belt at many vacation destinations. Some shops only want to rent them with a full scuba get-up, or for people diving with their operation.

Can anyone say whether there's a shop in west Maui that will gladly rent just a weight belt for a few days?

Try Maui Dive Shop in Kahana. That's probably the closest place to you.

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a belt at one of the shops in Lahaina. How much weight do you need? Might even be cheaper just buying one and leave the weights here if they're too heavy to take home. I have lots of used weights for sale and would be happy to make you a great deal but I'm in Kihei and it's a bit of a drive....Wearing a wetsuit?

Yes, I was thinking of just bringing an empty belt from home and buying some weights there. Freediving in swim trunks I use about 4 pounds, in a 3/2 full wetsuit maybe 3 or 4 pounds more. I'd enjoy getting out and diving with you, but as you say it's a drive and I think we'll mostly be between Lahaina-Honolua.

"if" you have trouble renting one (probably won't) check with Pacific Dive in Lahaina as they are one of the more "relaxed" shops on the west side ... very flexible folks there, and quite helpful.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom