The mythical "perfect" knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the shears. Then get a big-ass SS knife to go on your calf just because.

I always find it odd that someone would resort to a tool not designed for the job when their life might depend on it. Granted, i have not had to use my knife while diving for anything, yet. I have snapped quality henkel steak knives on dry land and I don't want to know what might happen when confronted with a dire situation under water. As a few have said in this thread, it's a tool, so get the right one for the job. I currently have an XS Scuba fogcutter X (older model than you can get now) that fits all requirements you have except it is not titanium. Good size, nice handle, straight and serrated blade, notch for line cutting and also set up to be a pair of shears(you can open and close using one hand), and has a nice large protrusion on the butt end to hook a lanyard or pound on your tank for signaling. Be aware, it takes a little extra work to clean and lube properly so it doesn't rust away, but I like it.

I have worn it on the inside of the calf mostly but am currently trying to figure out where I want to mount it on my BC, now that I have my own =).

Just my 2 cents... Good luck finding one that works for you!

Get and use the EMT Shears for diving; purchase and have ready a large butt end, heavy-duty SS knife to bust-out a window should you be unlucky enough to be on the next liveaboard to capsize & sink during a storm . . .

Apropos of nothing, she"a"rs are used for cutting and she"e"rs are used for funning in the bedroom.

Kiddings aside, this Benchmade knife is a sweet dive knife. I've seen it clipped to a shoulder slot on a jacket BC before (don't remember which BC it was). High quality stainless steel blade with nitrogen instead of carbon so the chances of it rusting is slim to none yet it's not brittle like a titanium blade and can take a good edge. The tip is clubfoot style so it's nearly blunted but not quite. 3.5" grip length, 3.25" blade, and it looks smaller in real life than it sounds.

100SH2O Details | Benchmade

Spyderco has the H1 steel which is one of those nitrogen impregnated alloys similar to Benchmade's knife. The Aqua Salt which is slightly longer and it's more of a utility marine knife than a dive knife. More along the type that you strap to your leg than mount to your BC.

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

There's also the Spyderco Caspian Salt which looks like it could be clipped to a BC. It's smaller than the Aqua Salt.

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Benchmade and Spyderco are highly respected knife manufacturers. Their blades aren't the $30 disposables from Mares/Oceanic/DeepSee/et al.

Anyway, I dive with a pair of Dive Rite shears (the red sheath is cool as heck, and so are the titanium nitride coated blades). Other than "coolness", it doesn't seem to cut any better than a typical cheaper shears sold at the dive stores. SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Titanium Shears - Daisy Chain Clip

However, I do have a fixed blade strapped to my calf when I go beach diving. California beaches can make for some "fun" exit because of rip tides and/or other currents. In worst case scenario, I can use the fixed blade as an anchor and stab it into the sand so that I can rest if exhausted and pull myself inward toward the shore against the current. Kick the fins, pull with your arms then stab down again. Repeat as needed until I can get to the beach. That's a trick an old diver taught me and I had to use it twice.

The perfect knife is the one left at home. You won't need it.

hi-i am selling an oceanic bc knife. Pointy tip total length is 9.75 inch and the handle is 4.5 in long. I have always used it on the upper strap on my bc. I would like $6used plus shipping for the knife

Attachments

• <untitled>.jpg
    <untitled>.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 234
What if you do and dont have it?

Then I guess you are screwed but neither myself nor my numerous dive friends have ever needed a knife on a dive. As a matter of fact our dive club had a big spring party this past Saturday and this very topic came up. There were probably 8 or 10 of us sitting at one table and someone brought up about carrying a dive knife. Not one single person at the table has ever needed a knife while on a dive and as a group, we represented 1000's of dives. As a matter of fact, no one in the group actually knows anyone who has ever needed a knife during a dive. They do come in handy on the boat now and then but that's about it.

Then I guess you are screwed but neither myself nor my numerous dive friends have ever needed a knife on a dive. As a matter of fact our dive club had a big spring party this past Saturday and this very topic came up. There were probably 8 or 10 of us sitting at one table and someone brought up about carrying a dive knife. Not one single person at the table has ever needed a knife while on a dive and as a group, we represented 1000's of dives. As a matter of fact, no one in the group actually knows anyone who has ever needed a knife during a dive. They do come in handy on the boat now and then but that's about it.

Come up to New England, I'll put you on some wrecks where you will wish you had a knife, shears, and wire cutters within less then 5 minutes. I can also put you on wrecks that has never seen a fishing line.

Any global statements like these are the result of not seeing many deferring underwater environments. Knifes, shears, and wire cutters are tools. Take and use the right tools for the job you are doing. Most dive sites have at least some histories from other divers, use those histories and reports to plan what tools you will need and take only what you will need.

Take a small "sharp" knife and some shears unless the recent reports say that they are not needed.

Did I say that the knife needs to be SHARP. When was the last time you took a stone and dressed up your knifes edge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom