Going to Phuket in April; and tips for US Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with either Marcia or Nick. Both are here and both quite capable of customizing your diving experience to best suit your needs.

The problem with this board is that most of the replies here are coming from Phuket dive operators, which are NOT necessarily the clients' point of view... and it looks like there is a big difference between the way some dive operators and regular clients see Phuket diving.
Maybe sometimes operators should hear what clients say, don't you think?
Maybe I am not ALL the clients but I certainly won't accept patronizing words regarding my opinion(a client's opinion) from a Phuket dive operator.

Once again it happens I have been diving 4 times in 3 years, totalizing some 50 dives or more in the area, certainly not sufficient to know everything but meaningful as a client and enough yet to get a general overview of what the Phuket dive scene is. It happens I have been both satisfied and dissatisfied with Phuket and unlike Phuket dive operators (understandably), I have the freedom to say so. :eyebrow:

Racha Yai is imo an excellent place to start for certified divers who have never dived here (in Thailand/Asia) before (like the OP).
Racha Yai offer fairly easy drift dives over sloping mainly healthy hard coral reefs with a good variety of marine life and on average good visibility too. Also Racha Yai's reefs are mostly sheltered from wind and waves making entries and exits quite easy as well. It's an excellent place for divers to get to know the "how" and "what" of Phuket's day trip diving.
And yes, Racha Yai is an area where many Open Water student divers do their training dives as well. ....
Tell me what's so special with Phuket diving that would need to spend a full day on the tamest dive site, apart that ALL operators include day trips to Racha Yai?
Good variety of marine life? What's that for you that I missed when I dived Racha Yai? Carpeting soft corals, ghostpipefish or macro critters, zebra sharks, fields of anemones, schools of barracudas or trevallies? Yes, I give you viz and absence of current but is that what I expect from a dive site? Not on my side.
All I remember where fields of similar hard horn corals and very little fish, maybe the operator wasn't good enough to chose the spectacular sites of Racha Yai? which operator would you recommend then? Pls, NAME them (not just a reseller). :D

It would be a bad idea imo to take Open Water student divers, divers who haven't been diving for a while or divers who have never dived here (in Thailand/Asia) before on their first day of diving to Shark Point. ....

Firstly, thy ar NOT novice divers (they says they dive a LOT), secondly there is very little difficulties in Phuket diving except maybe on the kingcruisr where crrents can be fierce, this is why I would not recommend KC.
And guess what THe KC wreck/shark point trip was what I had been proposed for my very first dives in Phuket by the same dive re-seller who's so appreciated in this thread and mentioned at least 4 times. Would you say it was a mistake? :confused:
To me, I don't think it was, except they recommended me SSD which is an operation I would never go again with, because some of their daily contracted DM's simply don't care about the guests. This is also known in Phuket dive scene but little said, because some clients would just go for the cheapest...

I find your suggestion to the OP for a speedboat day trip to the Similan Islands quite interesting. How do you think they'll enjoy waking up at 05:00 AM to start a 65 Nautical Mile trip (2 hours++) on a screaming, bumping speedboat? Difficult to gear up, complicated entries & exits, poor bathroom "facilities", not much shaded area, no place to have a relaxed surface interval and lunch etc. etc.
Once again I don't like such a patronizing reply to a client (basically that's what I am).
The response would depend on what one is looking for, for me I think you can enjoy it as much as I did for the third day diving I had in Phuket... and guess what, it was also recommended by the same operation you mentioned (how can they be so ill intentioned to me :rofl3: ).

It's a question of priorities and trade off : if you want the best around Phuket, it's located around the Similans, are you ready to go on a two hours speedboat ride. afterwards if one's choice, but please don't answer on behalf of the OP... even though most dive operators don't like proposing this option (especially the ones who don't have speedboats running to the Similans)

As for myself who couldn't do a liveaboard, I enjoyed it so much, I asked for a second ride to Koh Bon on the day after. and take it from a client opinion, not from a dive operator...
And btw, difficult entries and exit in a speed boat... are we talking about the same diving????:confused:

You are -of course- entitled to your own opinion but I don't feel it is necessary to argue on my own, like you started in your first post, just express yours and that'll be fine. Thanks.

Cheers
Luko
(senior consultant, client relationship/surveys related to tourism business)

All I remember where fields of similar hard horn corals and very little fish, maybe the operator wasn't good enough to chose the spectacular sites of Racha Yai?

I go with Phuket Scuba Club (Whenever I am in Phuket)

Ive seen at Raja Yai

Stonefish (not scorpionfish)
Sea snakes
Garden eels
Leaf fish
Salt-Water Catfish
Razor Shrimpfishes
and sometimes if your looking away from the reef towards the sea you can catch a glimpse of a passing sailfish.....to mention a few things....not too shabby IMHO for a shallow reef.

But one of the best sights though is the smile on a crew member face when they've received a well deserved tip.

Last edited:
:You are -of course- entitled to your own opinion...

:shocked: WOW! Thank You!!
You really scared me there with your reply! My opinion was just that, "my opinion". It's nothing to start WW III over. You're a scary guy..... :troll:

Just for your info: I am currently (and haven't been for nearly the last two years) NOT in any way associated with any dive shop, dive boat operator or dive retailer. Not here in Thailand and not anywhere else.

Wow, this thread just stepped into the Twilight Zone.

Luko, I am one of the people you refer to as a client and having made more than 900 dives in the Phuket and Similan area I find the advice on dive sites made by "resellers" on these threads to be quite good (if you ignore the come to Krabi/Phi-Phi/Lanta parts).

I also agree with Bowmouth, if you have not dived for a while then Racha Yai is the perfect place for a first couple of dives. There is a surprisingly good selection of animals there, especially around the cement "cubes" outside bay 3.

Adding to the previous list I've also seen Ghost Pipe Fish (Robust & Ornate), Pegasus Fish (Sea Moths), Ribbon Eels (well OK only one of these), many Nudi's and even Dolphins and a Whale from the boat.

Here is a picture of an undescribed Nudi one of the guides found and Yai.

Racha_Yai_28_.jpg

Also forgot Octopus - these sometimes let you get close, provided you approach slowly.

Octo7.jpg

Now lets get to the recommendation part, my "favourite" sites in the area are Racha Noi, Phi-Phi and Shark Point/King Cruiser. A small word of warning, if you think King Cruiser has strong currents then the Southern Tip of Racha Noi can be a real eye opener, but this area is avoided by most operators when the current is really moving.

I also have a favourite dive operator, named Sea Bees. Its German run so quite a few Europeans on the boat and they have (in my client opinion) one of the best designed day boats in the area. They also have dive rules (60min max time), but allow buddy diving after a check-out and have quite small numbers in their guide groups.
They are a little more expensive than most, but that's something I can live with as the food is also cooked on the boat instead of being kept in the large "tin cans". Actually some of the curries that come from the big pre-cooked cans are also really good, but they are not so good for vegetables.

And I don't think anyone will be surprised to find out that there are people who don't like Sea Bees! Everyone has opinions.

Luko, you don't know anyone called "Lord Khram" do you?

Last edited:
Luko, you don't know anyone called "Lord Khram" do you?

:rofl3:

PS: Big Jeff, I really like that octopus picture. Both diver and animal seem to naturally blend in with the environment. Must have been a pro....:D

Yes, the guy in the photo was an old dive buddy who I dived with many times.

Unfortunately he's now retired from diving, but I do still see him from time to time for some drinks.

:bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom