wreckchick's Australian Odyssey!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would just second the recommendation to spend a little time in Byron Bay -- I did my first major diving trip there, and it was wonderful. It's a small site (the dive site is a cinder cone in the middle of the bay, which was the caldera of an ancient volcano) but because it's right where the warm currents from the Coral Sea meet the colder currents coming up from the south, it has a wide diversity of life (and it's seasonal). We saw HUGE schools of fish, ranging from big jewfish to tiny gold and black butterflyfish. Bat rays, skates, turtles, and a huge variety of nudibranchs were other highlights. The town is self-consciously cute, but has some very good restaurants. I'd go back in a New York minute, if somebody else paid my way . . .

thanksforallthefish... thanks for the head's up, but I'm not exactly sure how Virgin would find out I'd been diving in the past 24 hours :D

That's a few votes for Byron's Bay, so I think that's got to get on the list. Lynne, what time of year did you go?

R

thanksforallthefish... thanks for the head's up, but I'm not exactly sure how Virgin would find out I'd been diving in the past 24 hours :D

That's a few votes for Byron's Bay, so I think that's got to get on the list. Lynne, what time of year did you go?

R

If they see bags of dive gear or with dive stickers etc, they will ask when you last dived.

I was there in November. My trip report, with a few pictures, is HERE.

One amusing note . . . It was an interesting trip, because I was trying to get used to a borrowed BP/W and long hose setup. I spent two weeks in Australia (with three days of diving) and came home to do Fundies in 45 degree water and 42 degree air -- brrr!

I found this on their website:

Virgin Blue > Medical Conditions

It says no flying within 24 hours, which sounds slightly more reasonable.

BTW wreckchick, if you're into your wrecks you reeaally should come down and visit us in Melbourne - we've got a ships graveyard and a shipwreck coast :wink:

See here: vicshipwrecks

Thanks for that ... I had been told that they had a no fly policy of 48hrs, but couldn't verify it :)

Back
Top Bottom