Stripping & painting AL Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any shop that sell's Luxfer tanks cans order you custom printed tanks fron their distributor ScubaLux , in a bunch of different colors. They use some system that makes the graphics bond to the tanks coating, real strong stuff. Nothing like stickers or stencils that are always peeling. Love my Nitrox tank graphic. You can even get a custom design or logo done relativly cheap.

DM--

Thanks for the tip on new ones, but I've already picked up four used ones still on their original hydro (9/98) for a very sweet deal. And I'd like to paint them so that they can be somewhat "original" and will stand out of the crowd.

I've always just used sandpaper and hand-roughed any exisiting finish. I then apply multiple coats of the cheapest stuff Walmart has - usually around .99 cents a can. Heck, my tanks live hard and they'll get scratched up and chipped soon enough. Just hit them with another shot of the cheap stuff and they look new again! :jester:
Norm
Tip: On new steel tanks apply a coat of clear laquer. This keeps them looking new for years! If they are of an oddball pressure, (like the old 95's that had plus/+ or a HP steel with 3500 psi on them), just take a laundry pencil and fill in the depression where the numbers are before spraying. This makes the stenciling really stand out and (semi) permanent.:doctor:

Step 1: Remove boot
Step 2: Mask off valve
Step 3: Strip using zip-strip and a scotch-brite pad by 3M
Step 4: Unmask valve

That's it. Note the boot didn't get replaced. Any kind of boot, netting or covering will trap water and can lead to corrosion. The exterior of my AL80s look like, er, processed food and I'm kinda proud of 'em. :)

Roak

Hello,

NAA to much work. Even easier plan is

Step #1 call vendor
Step #2 order new tank in desired size and color with desired valve/boot
Step #3 pay for the equipment and enjoy

Ed

Originally posted by roakey
Step 1: Remove boot
Step 2: Mask off valve
Step 3: Strip using zip-strip and a scotch-brite pad by 3M
Step 4: Unmask valve

That's it. Note the boot didn't get replaced. Any kind of boot, netting or covering will trap water and can lead to corrosion. The exterior of my AL80s look like, er, processed food and I'm kinda proud of 'em. :)

Roak

Hi Roak,

Zip-Strip is also Luxfer's recommended product but which type of Zip-Strip works best? I found their website and they make several versions. I have a set of Luxfer 80s that need to become bare aluminum and I would like to do it with as little wailing and gnashing of teeth as is possible.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Originally posted by devjr
I visited a dive shop at a marina in Fort Lauderdale, sorry, don't remember which. For a nominal fee, they would have your old tank stripped to bare metal and clear coated. The redone tank on display looked silvery and brand new.

Still no idea which one? General location (within Ft. L of course)?

Tom

Mike isnt Deerfield beach right where we will be for Weckmania? If so I would get them to strip them. Then find a Graphic place and have them Photo engrave them. It does not harm the tanks and you can get any kind of design you want on them. Your pretty limited as far as colors go black, natural, gold, red, and shades of such. But the design can be as complicated as you want.

Back
Top Bottom