DIY canister light kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is like the dr slim line size,correct? based on the battery u chose
or is the can the wreck size

It is in the middle of the two...more like the dimensions of the salvo canister as that battery is a direct replacement as far as fit.

Steve

Ok, re-read the link and see it is regulated (4 amp draw) and protected (70c thermal cut-out). Is the cell protected against overcharging / overdischage?

From the link is post #1:

Pre-wired:
6" 18 AWG open end wire
One 4.2A polyswitch installed in the pack (one per each 5S module )
One 65 deg thermostat. in battery pack to protect battery from overcharging.

acamato - i've just learned this stuff a few weeks ago, please confirm some specifics with me:
1)does that mean the pack will shut off itself (when the voltage drops too low) even if user leaves light on?
2) I read this as meaning the pack will cease charging because of a thermal cut-off, not because of overvoltage protection (i get that as charge rises heat will increase, just clarifing mechanism of action)

Is there a limit to how many you could order, do they have to be in multiples, any time lines?

Would you like me to re-post this where you might get some more buyers?

Best,
L

acamato - i've just learned this stuff a few weeks ago, please confirm some specifics with me:
1)does that mean the pack will shut off itself (when the voltage drops too low) even if user leaves light on?
2) I read this as meaning the pack will cease charging because of a thermal cut-off, not because of overvoltage protection (i get that as charge rises heat will increase, just clarifing mechanism of action)

The polyswitch is like a fuse. If there is a large current draw (due to a fault or a short) it will turn off. It will reset after the fault clears.

The Thermal cutoff will cut power when the temperature of the pack reached 65 deg C.

Hey Rescue
Nice looking products. I have a question but feel bad for a hijack. I have owned the DiveRites and never had a problem. But it seems there is a big push for delrin rather than the pvc. Is there a reason (other than the tough machining capabilities) that you chose pvc?
Thanks ahead of time.

to make every-one who signed up for one question our choice?
:p

seems there is a big push for delrin rather than the pvc.

The Dive rite canister is made from PVC... I chose Sched 120 PVC pipe for 4 main reasons.
1. The right size for the canister I was making was available in sched 120 pipe. having a premade canister (minus the bottom) was a big plus for me as I don't have a lathe. I would be boring a solid piece of delrin rod with a drill press and the finished result wouldn't be as preciseor professional.
2. The owner of the plastics supply house said the characteristics of delrin would make it more brittle to work with - PVC had better machining characteristics.
3. The only delrin he had was white and I wanted gray or black.
4. I didn't want sched 80 because I didn't think the wall of the pipe was thick enough to put screws for the latches and the only size that was easily available had a larger OD than I wanted.

The only reason I have these canisters available is because I had to buy a minimum length of the pipe. Since mine turned out so good, I thought I would make a few more and sell them at a reasonable price. I only have materials for 4 more canisters. If the demand is high enough, I can try to get more pipe but if I can't get it at a price close to what I paid for it, after the 4 I have the price will have to go up. I bought a remnant and he charged me half price per foot. If I buy a whole 8 ft pipe and he doesn't have it in stock, I would have to pay full price and shippiong as well. So it looks as if this great price will be a one time thing unless I get lucky again. Full price plus shipping would probably translate to $30 per foot, plus the lid, o-rings, labor and shipping (maybe $90 to $100 TYD price...I don't know for sure).

Hope this let's everyone kow where I am coming from.

Steve

Last edited:
Are there people out there that may be interested in more canisters? I don't know prices yet but if I can get another batch for under $100 shipped in the continental US is there interest? If it would help keep cost down would anybody be interested in Sched 80 pipe with the same OD? The difference in wall thickness between the Sched 120 and 80 is only 0.05 inches. The pipe has the same OD so this will give you more room for a slightly larger battery.

At this time I don't even know if I can get the materials so this may not come to be.

Let me know. I will work this the same way...I will let you know what the price will be and how many I have to offer, then I will collect the money and pruchase the product. The turn around time for the next batch will be a little longer because I will not have the canister part made and that takes longer to do than the lids.

Last edited:
Any interest in a more complete kit? You get O-rings, cable glands, latches, switches, cable, canister. You assemble, add your light head, battery and light of your choice. Some of the real pain of this project is collecting all the parts.

I can also get 3mm stepped lenses made of polycarb. $10 shipped. I have 2 in hand now.

Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom