Utilus question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a Bauer Utilus last spring and I noticed that the filter canister would not hold pressure after I turned the compressor off. The electric motor also seemed to get a bit too hot. Never did an actual temp reading.
Back in December I filled a couple of tanks and started hearing a slight knock. Kinda sounded like a rod knocking in car. So I turned the compressor off thinking I would deal with it later.
I traded for a couple HP 100's and wanted to see what the compressor would do with HP tanks, never filled one off this compressor before. So off to the garage I go. All seemed to be fine as far as the noise AND the temp of the motor...what a surprise. After filling the first HP tank I shut things off and bleed a bit from the whip. I could hear the OPV on top of the filter slightly hissing. Didn't think anything about it since I had just filled a HP tank and figured that was the reason. I cleaned up things and decided to check and see if the canister still had pressure. Much to my surprise it did.

So the magic question is...is there anything that I might want to look at to make sure all is actually working well or should I just count my blessings?

Just do the SOP stuff in the manual. You did not say what your compressor is exactly or what motor is included so I don't have much to offer. The Utilus 1 and 2 have an installed oil pump and regulator so fit an oil press gauge and check all fittings and drains for leaks.

Got a picture of the unit?

Craig

Just do the SOP stuff in the manual. You did not say what your compressor is exactly or what motor is included so I don't have much to offer. The Utilus 1 and 2 have an installed oil pump and regulator so fit an oil press gauge and check all fittings and drains for leaks.

No oil leaks or air leaks. I checked for those last year when I first got it.
Not sure of the brand of motor but it is a 220 single phase 5.0 HP
SOP?? Don't have a manual so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Found manuals for others in the Utilus line but nothing for the 10.

Attachments

• DSC00873.jpg
    DSC00873.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC00874.jpg
    DSC00874.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 139
Have you changed the oil, intake filter and purification filter? The installed life of the purification filter is 6 months. The processing capacity is 3200 cu ft base on an inlet temperature of 68 F (inlet temp being 15 degrees above ambient), so in the real world with an ambient operating temp of 90 F, the capacity is 43% of 3200. The filter is probably a Bauer 059183 or a L-Factor X22249. The intake filter is an N04823 and If the oil is natural, I would suggest changing out to the current recommended synthetic which is Chemlube 800.

I believe the motor is actually a 3hp, probably Marathon. If you notice the motor is mounted on a hinge plate. By simply removing the belt, which is probably a 3VX375, you can remove the motor completely. The design was meant to allow swap out between gas and electric motors (provided you had the optional gas motor set up).

There are 3 condensate bleeders on the unit. Two are on the base of the filter tower and the other is to the left of the tower (facing the bleeders on the tower), on the 2nd stage separator. This bleeder and the one on the left of the tower base should be bled every 15 minutes during operation. The other bleeder on the tower is basically for dumping the tower when changing filters. If you have moisture coming out of this one, you've got a problem.

What does the tag on the filter tower head indicate the safety setting to be? Factory set is usually 225 bar, but it could be 330 bar. With the top screw on the safety backed off fully, the safety should bleed at the pressure indicated on the tag.

If the unit builds pressure to the bleed point of the safety, that tells me everything is good regarding the valves and final floating piston. To check the PMV operation, dump the filter tower of air, hook the fill whip up as to fill a tank, but leave the tank valve closed. Start the machine. If the PMV is bad, you will start to see pressure build on the gauge right after start-up. However if there is a delay 1-2 minutes until the pressure starts to build, then that should indicate a functioning PMV.

BTW, the picture indicates the unit is filty, Clean it up!:D

Craig

PS- The fill time should be approximately 22 minutes on an 80, from 500 to 3000.

PPS- Manual is being printed at Bauer, Miami right now (they owe me some favors):wink:, PM me with address info and I'll send it to you.

Last edited:
Have you changed the oil, intake filter and purification filter? and If the oil is natural, I would suggest changing out to the current recommended synthetic which is Chemlube 800.

Oil and intake changed..oil is synthetic.

I believe the motor is actually a 3hp

Nope, motor is for sure 5HP.

What does the tag on the filter tower head indicate the safety setting to be? Factory set is usually 225 bar, but it could be 330 bar. With the top screw on the safety backed off fully, the safety should bleed at the pressure indicated on the tag.
The tag says 5200psi but the top of the knob reads 225bar, at either rate it works and I can fill HP. Also the PMV works.

BTW, the picture indicates the unit is filthy, Clean it up!:D
That was a warehouse shot. It was cleaned when I got it home. I was actually glad to see a bit of dust on it so I knew they hadn't cleaned any leaks .

PS- The fill time should be approximately 22 minutes on an 80, from 500 to 3000.
I've been getting 100psi/minute. Going from around 500 to to 3200...I like my LP85's a bit full.

Oil and intake changed..oil is synthetic.

Nope, motor is for sure 5HP.

The tag says 5200psi but the top of the knob reads 225bar, at either rate it works and I can fill HP. Also the PMV works.

That was a warehouse shot. It was cleaned when I got it home. I was actually glad to see a bit of dust on it so I knew they hadn't cleaned any leaks .

I've been getting 100psi/minute. Going from around 500 to to 3200...I like my LP85's a bit full.

If that tag is a Factory tag, it can't say 5200 because the max rated pressure for the unit is 5000 psi!:confused:

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom