St. Thomas / St. John Dive Shops Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been teaching scuba on St Thomas since 1981, Coki beach is an easy beach dive, admiralty great wreck dives, Aqua Action, great people and only take 6 on there boat. All the dive ops are for the most part good, they all share the same dive sites depending on there location. Don't let anyone sell you that the wreck at Buck Island is a wreck...it use to be back in the 80s but not any more, its a few pieces of metal on the bottom with some cement bags. I have a small shop on the north side and I only do shore or kayak dives but they are great dives. The only problem is the dives are dictated by weather and range from 40 to 60 feet. Homers scuba and snorkel tours if you care to check it out.

Dive-In will do a great job for you. On St. John, look into "6-Paq" and "Down Under" if you want a small private boat-ish operation. "Low Key" always delivers a good experiance, with a larger boat.

If you have any problems when you are on-island, dont hesitate to call St. Thomas Diving Club. They will always be helpful.

Welcome to the Board
I live and dive St. Thomas and you came to the best place in the world for it. Try Red hook dive shop or try St. Thomas Dive Club in Bolongo I have done both and no complaint. Look at this website for St. Thomas diving www.stthomasvirginisland.com/articles/scuba diving 1.html

Islandmon

Exactly. So - Rhoneman - who do you recommend for the Rhone? I'd imagine with your member id - you should know. I'll be on St. John in about 10 days! I can't wait!

Exactly. So - Rhoneman - who do you recommend for the Rhone? I'd imagine with your member id - you should know. I'll be on St. John in about 10 days! I can't wait!

I couldn't really give you a recommendation for an op coming out of St John, as I don't really know them. But I think most of the St John ops do about one trip up to the Rhone each week.

Only specific thing I would look for if I was doing it out of St John would be for an operator who offered Nitrox. The deep side goes to just under 90 feet, and the shallow side (done as the second dive) is mostly in the 50-60 range. Given the trip takes up your whole day, you get a whole lot more time underwater with a couple of tins of Nitrox, and it is well worth the extra money.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Board
I live and dive St. Thomas and you came to the best place in the world for it. Try Red hook dive shop or try St. Thomas Dive Club in Bolongo I have done both and no complaint. Look at this website for St. Thomas diving www.stthomasvirginisland.com/articles/scuba diving 1.html

Islandmon

This link is broken...

Islandmon, check your pm box.

R

I have a dive shop on the north side of St. Thomas and I offer great instruction and shore diving at beautiful Hull Bay. homerscubaandsnorkel.com If you are interested in doing boat diving, I recommend Aqua Action Dive Center located at Secret Harbour ( about 7 min. from Sapphire Beach). They offer instruction on the boat and can offer diving for both the novice and advanced. Their boat only takes six divers at a time and all dives are lead by a divemaster or instructor. In this case it would be an instructor. aadivers.com

rhdc_logo.jpg
Over in the East End, in Red Hook at American Yacht Harbor (where Chris Sawyer Dive Center was located) is now Red Hook Diver Center. Late last year Sawyer, closed down and moved to St. John out of Caneel Bay.

The employees and a few friends (and former employees) bought the boat, some of the assets and reopened as Red Hook Diver Center. So many of the same long time employees are manning the new shop. We've also got Nitrox now, nice sized banks with a stick as well.

So if you're back down look us up. at Red Hook Dive Center or give us a call at 340-777-DIVE (3483)

Sapphire Beach is a GREAT beach for your last day if you need to blow off nitrogen before you fly. Spent 7 hours there my FIRST day in St. Thomas recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom