Freak Storm Sinks Liveaboard off Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I do - I was not trying to say you made it up, sorry if it came over that way.

There do seem to be lots of inaccuracies in the reports coming out, onE report had the boat sinking off Promthep Cape @ 10pm when it was not reported missing until 8am.

You could probably swim from Promthep Cape to Chalong Pier in that time, never mind travel by boat.:doh2:

Scuba Diving in Phuket Thailand and Similan Islands with Dive Asia has a short note about this.

Attached is a picture of what I think is the boat in question.

R..

Attachments

• pic-dive-asia-1-l.jpg
    pic-dive-asia-1-l.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 112
Apecks, You didn't come across as saying I made it up. Sorry.

Please Post any news you come across.

I love Thailand and I have to say every trip I've made diving in Thailand has been with a Top Notch Boat Captain. The liveaboard boats are big and I'm sure you have been on a busy day at R-Rock with a bit of weather.

One of my favorite boats is the M/V Colona VI and the Last few years the Captain, Toom (spelling) is one of the best. "It's true Open Water diving" in T-land and it comes with the risks. The Thai's drive the boats well and are on the Radio with all the other boats constantly. The Thais want to get the crew and customer home safe.

I'll be diving there next month. Freak storms can happen. I wish I had a dollar for every time the Captian pulled his card against the dive guides and said "NO-Mai" to the scheduled dive site and picked an alternative site catered towards the experience of the customers and their safety. Or, the diveguide says "The Captain says we need to leave Now due to weather" and the customers are shaking their heads looking at clear calm seas only to witness just how quick the weather can change.

Last edited:
Latest: Divers Find Boat Four in Seabed 'Tomb' - Phuket Wan

Marine Police Deputy Superintendent Lieutenant Colonel Prasert Srikhoonrat
Photo by phuketwan.com
Latest: Divers Find Boat Four in Seabed 'Tomb'
By Shanya Phattrasaya

Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Phuketwan Update Latest
DIVERS have found four bodies inside the wreck of the MV Dive Asia 1 on the floor of the ocean off Phuket.

Attempts will be made tomorrow to bring the bodies back to the surface.

Seven people went missing when the MV Dive Asia 1 was struck by a savage storm that overturned the vessel on Sunday night as it returned from a holiday dive trip to the Similans.
One body, that of an Austrian woman, was found floating on the surface on Tuesday morning.

First reports said that the boat had split in two when it hit the ocean floor at a depth of 71 metres. But sonar had picked up a nearby rock.

Divers today found the boat in one piece on the bottom.

At that depth, diving becomes difficult and only highly skilled professionals can undertake such a mission.

Marine Police Deputy Superintendent Lieutenant Colonel Prasert Srikhoonrat told Phuketwan today that the the bodies were found by divers about 4.10pm.

Jurgen Schenker, Diving Course Director of Dive Asia, confirmed this afternoon that the bodies had been found.

Lieutenant Colonel Prasert said that the bodies were found in the sleeping compartments of the vessel.

As with airlines, the company records who sleeps where on board.

These positional records lead police to conclude that the bodies found today are those of two Austrians and two Swiss.

Divers swam into the sleeping compartments where a missing Japanese and a Thai staffer were recorded to be staying, but could find no sign of anyone there.

The two divers involved in the search today would have paused at set levels to avoid pressure problems as they descended and surfaced.

Missing are: Yuba Hirotsuga, Japan; Klaus Konradoer, Austria; Monika Schuster, Austria; Sibylle Bucher, Switzerland, Rolf Niederberge, Switzerland; Jumpa Sorntat, Thailand.

The husband and relatives of Gabrielle Jetzinger, whose body was recovered on Tuesday, are now on Phuket and preparing for a cremation tomorrow at a Buddhist temple.

Mrs Jetzinger, 52, was a dentist. Her husband positively identified her watch and a ring today.

Marine police found the sunken vessel on Tuesday on the seabed, although at that stage, because of what they were seeing on the sonar, they believed it had broken into two pieces.

The MV Dive Asia 1 was only four-and-a-half months old, having been launched in October after sea trials. It had air-conditioning and modern facilities.

The boat left Chalong pier on March 4 for a liveaboard diving trip to the popular Similans and was due back about 2am on Monday morning. The storm struck about 11pm on Sunday.

This is about the saddest news i have read in a long time ,thinking of holiday makers returning from some great diving sites and probably discussing the last few days' diving adventures , and then out of nothing the boat capsizes in the dark of night and you are seperated from the rest in the dark...A nightmare i think for every one involved. My thoughts and prayers are with those saved and lost and with their families and loved ones.

this is very disturbing since i was planning a trip to phuket later this year..

Billys 720,

I would not hesitate to go on your trip.

Planes crash and we still fly on them

Wir waren auf der Dive Asia 1 v. 17.2.-22.2.09. Auf dieser Tour war sie 50% ueberbucht!! Fragen: Wann wurde das EPIRB (hoffentlich vorhanden) aktiviert? Wann das Signal von wem empfangen? Wann begann die Suchaktion? Warum hat das Management von Dive Asia erst am Morgen darauf das Schiff als vermisst gemeldet? Hat der Kapitaen und die Crew die Kabinen nach eingeschlossenen und verletzten Passagieren kontrolliert, bevor er das Schiff verlassen hat (alte Seemannsregel besagt, dass der Kapitaen als LETZTER das sinkende Schiff verlaesst). Dr. M. Beer und Made Sulastri, Bali, Indonesien
We were on this ship from 17.2.-22.2.09 and it was 50% overbooked. When was the EPIRB (if there was one) activated and when did the rescue start? Why did the Dive operator Dive Asia report the ship missing in the morning, if the accident happened around midnight? Did the captain check the cabins for trapped passengers? Dr. M. Beer and Made Sulastri

]Wir waren auf der Dive Asia 1 v. 17.2.-22.2.09. Auf dieser Tour war sie 50% ueberbucht!! Fragen: Wann wurde das EPIRB (hoffentlich vorhanden) aktiviert? Wann das Signal von wem empfangen? Wann begann die Suchaktion? Warum hat das Management von Dive Asia erst am Morgen darauf das Schiff als vermisst gemeldet? Hat der Kapitaen und die Crew die Kabinen nach eingeschlossenen und verletzten Passagieren kontrolliert, bevor er das Schiff verlassen hat (alte Seemannsregel besagt, dass der Kapitaen als LETZTER das sinkende Schiff verlaesst). Dr. M. Beer und Made Sulastri, Bali, Indonesien[/COLOR][/B]
We were on this ship from 17.2.-22.2.09 and it was 50% overbooked. When was the EPIRB (if there was one) activated and when did the rescue start? Why did the Dive operator Dive Asia report the ship missing in the morning, if the accident happened around midnight? Did the captain check the cabins for trapped passengers? Dr. M. Beer and Made Sulastri

Hadodi: Have you any evidence for the overbooking?

according to a german scubaboard (taucher.net), the boat was not overbooked as other guests said (same time). Other accusations from your side were also contradicted by these people.

I don't know what's your problem with this dive operation, but please wait to the final report before reproaching. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom