Purchasing Female Weight Integrated BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

worthicm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm new to diving and looking to purchase a female weight integrated non-velcro style BCD. Any suggestions?

The Aqualung Libra is a female weight integrated & has no velcro cumberbun, but is a back inflation BC. The only minus I've found with the Libra is that it is sized a bit too small for myself. I also believe that Scubapro's Lady Hawk is a weight integrated & back inflate BC with no cumberbun. I have never tried the Lady Hawk myself & other than seeing it, don't know a great deal about it.

Hi Worth,
Welcome to SB. I second Tammy's post. The Aqualung Libra and Scubapro Ladyhawk are great and fit so many different shaped & sized ladies. The Libra Libra has a bid QR clip while the Ladyhawk LADYHAWK - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC does have a velcro cumberbun. I'll also add the Zeagle Zena Zena - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems as a great fit for many women divers, it has sort of a corset/vest that adjusts independently at the waist and hip. Personally, I love my Dive-rite Transpac & Venture Wing SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPac Harness which is very adjustable to different shapes/sizes/exposure protection. It has webbing and buckles, no velcro.

Primarily, women's BC's are made with shorter backpacks that are not quite as wide either. Those with a chest strap have it higher up, not across the boobs like men's BCs. The weight systems sit firmly on the hips.

Try on as many different ones as you can. Try it on with a typical tank on your back too, so you can feel how secure it will be when you haul it down the beach or across a boat deck. Make sure they inflate the BC for you while you are wearing it so you can feel the differences. Try out all of the various dump valves (each has minimum of one, but some like the Ladyhawk have 3 (one on each shoulder plus the backhip), etc.

With all the great BCs out there, you will find one that not only feels comfortable but feels safe and gives you confidence in the water. The price differences between these BCs is not significant, so invest in your comfort and safety for the long term rather than the "now".

Happy Diving!
Check out the ScubaChix forum too.

My instructor says women's bc's are made from inferior material and sold at the same prices as a man's. I have the Scuba Pro LadyHawk and really like it no matter what he says. i tried the Oceana and Tusa. One was really heavy and the other was long. It went over my hips.

I wonder why your instructor would say that? I've been diving with my Scubapro Ladyhawk for nearly 5 years and find it to be an excellent BC.

My Girlfriend has the Mares Aliikai and loves it. It also doesnt use velcro, and is weight integrated

I think some shops say this because they don't stock female bc's and want to sell in stock items. I can't speak for every brand but, the seaquest brands made by aqualung are very durable well made bc's, mens and womens models!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom