Best snorkeling??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jibjab

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, my partner and I will be in Egypt this April and we'd like to spend about four days on the Red Sea, I have my AOW but she has no scuba diving experience (yet) so we'd like to find some great snorkeling. I hear a lot about Sharm and a lot about Dahab, Dahab definitely seems more our style (don't need a resort vacation, been backpacking for months) but frankly our main focus is the snorkeling so we just want to go where we'll have the best experience. I'll probably spend a day diving as well. Also, is there anywhere you can see big fish snorkeling or do you generally have to be diving? If so, where would be the best area?

Thanks!

I would suggest to go to Sharm El-Sheikh...

Lots of dive operators and lots of nice places for snorkeling and having a good time...

Don't forget a trip to Tiran (lovely place for snorkeling even if a little bit crowded) and don't miss to dive Shark & Yolanda Reef...

The whole place (Sharm) is designed to please visitors but diving & snorkeling is 1st class believe me...

You can have lunch on board for something like 5 Euro per person and food is often very good...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Is there anywhere that has the same quality of snorkelling that isn't a massive American style concrete jungle mega resort like Sharm?

Is there anywhere that has the same quality of snorkelling that isn't a massive American style concrete jungle mega resort like Sharm?

I think I know what you are looking for but I am afraid Sharm wasn' t built for people like you...

I think you shoul turn your attention towards structure which are smaller but more "Human" (same as I do)...

I have been to Hilton Sharm Dreams and quality is superb but it is not the place you are looking for...

There is a small structure next to it called Holiday Service ( HOLIDAY SERVICE - HOME PAGE ) and I can tell you for sure that this place is what you are looking for...

Small, close to the Airport, 1st class diving boat, 1st class food on board and at the resort, close to "Old Sharm" (5 min by taxi), nitrox for free and you do not get disturbed by staff asking if you want to play beach volley...

If you decide to go there let me know, manager is a friend of mine...

Hope you will have fun...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

I know this is a diving site but as I stated I am looking for the best snorkeling as my partner is not certified, does anyone know of any snorkeling forums? Maybe that would be a better place to ask, thanks

Ras Mohamed and Tiran out of Sharm are locations with different dive sites, some of which are suitable for snorkeling. Normally the boat will have both divers and snorkelers on board and there will be at least one place suitable for snorkeling during the trip.

Regarding Dahab, the Blue Hole is suitable for snorkeling. Actually some daily trips from Sharm come to visit Dahab and dive/snorkel in the Blue Hole. There're other sites suitable for snorkeling in Dahab but the Blue Hole is viewed by many as the best.

bump! anyone have any more advice? we'll probably be staying in dahab

Hi Jibjab,

I just booked a trip to Dahab for April (wife and kids ages 12 and 14). From the research I've done, it looks there is decent snorkeing in various areas of Dahab, from various areas on the shore close to town or outside of town. It also sounds like there are many, many local tour operators that will take you to more remote areas to snorkel - via 4x4, camel or boat. A large amount of the diving in Dahab is shore diving, so I have to assume it would be quite easy to tag along on dive outings where the snorkeling would also be very good.

It also definitely sounds like Sharm is not the place for you based on the vibe there....bigger mega-type resorts, more crowded. Dahab is much more suited to individual travelers who want a more laid back vibe.

Dahab also seems to be at least slightly better situated if you are interested in desert adventures, such as hiking Mt. Sinai, overnight trips in the desert etc.

All that said, this is my first trip there....so all of my info is second hand.

One place to look for additional info or to ask questions if you not getting adequate answers is the Dahab forum on trip advisor...give it a try:

Dahab Forum - TripAdvisor

Like any web-site, you to take the opinions with a grain of salt (not knowing anything about the posters), but there is quite a bit of info about snorkeling in Dahab.

Another option could be southern Egypt - south of Marsa Alam. There are several small dive lodges in that area that are very relaxed and although they cater mainly to divers, the snorkeling is pretty good as well. We stayed with Red Sea Diving Safari in Oct 2007 and had a fantastic time (they have 3 locations down there - we were at Nakari village). These places are pretty basic and VERY quiet....the folks there are there to dive and snorkel. At Nakari they had RIBs/Zodiacs that would drop you off at various spots aong the coastline and then you could snorkel back or they would come and pick you up. We also did 3-4 trips to Dolphin House reef, where the snorkeling was also very good and where my wife/kids were surrounded by dolphins multiple times out there, including mother/baby dolphins. They also often offered "truck dives/snorkels", where they would load everyone and the gear into a truck and spend most of the day diving/snorkeling at a remote site. On one of these we did some great snorkeling with several large sea turtles - fantastic.

Here is the web site for Red Sea Diving Safari:
http://www.redsea-divingsafari.com/

The advantage of heading further south is that water temps may be slightly warmer vs. the Sinai.

Hope this helps - and happy travels :)

Chris

Back
Top Bottom