my first pics in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I finally got the courage to take my camera diving in the sound at the Edmonds Underwater Park. Predictably, there were a lot of Lingcod and Cabezon hanging about, but we weren't getting too close to them. I did get some pictures that we're having trouble identifying. Can anyone confirm these ID's?
I think that the shrimp is a coonstriped shrimp, but we're not sure. Can anyone recommend a book that covers ID of PNW invertebrates?

My wife and I think that the greenling is a painted greenling, although since the flash didn't go off, the colors are washed out a bit.

I have no idea what that invertebrate is - I saw several of them on the bottom.

Finally, we're not really sure what the sculpin is. He couldn't have been more than 2-3 inches in length and was hanging around a big metal ring.

Thanks,
-Greg

Attachments

• greenling.JPG
    greenling.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 96
  • invertebrate.JPG
    invertebrate.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 94
  • littlesculpin.JPG
    littlesculpin.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 94
  • shrimp.JPG
    shrimp.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 89
Greg,
Thanks for posting the pics...
The Ultimate reference book IMHO is
Marine life of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb & Bernard Hanby. Pricey but worth it!
Whelks to Whales is another good one by Rick Harbo and he also has a smaller book that is Pacific Reef & Shore...a photo guide to Northwest Marine Life.
Hope this helps.
Kirsten

Thanks Kirsten. I'll have to see about finding those. My wife got me the Humann and Deloach "Coastal Fish Identification" and "Coast Fishes of the PNW" by Lamb and Edgell. The last time we were at the Seattle aquarium, they had another book that had some good ID info in it, but I didn't have the pictures.:doh2:

I almost always have to refer to the same books that Kirsten mentions.

I think the invert is a Pacific Goeduck MC78 pg 197. The Sculpin looks very much like the Puget Sound Sculpin VB 64 Pg 378 in Lamb and Hanby's "Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest"

I've got about a 10% success rate at Critter ID :wink:

Congratulations on your first Puget Sound UW photos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom