Looking at new BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Sutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello to all who besides me is dreaming of getting back into the water ????

What BC's do you use and why ??

I am looking into Zeagle either a ranger or a scout? any pro's and con's, i use a dacor Sportster now, reg vest type and now looking into wings

Thank you for any imput...David

Last edited:
is this David Sutton from the Explorer ?

In any case, I would recommend a BP/W setup. We have an upcoming article on it on thinkingdiver.com. There are very little cons for getting in a backplate/wing early in the life of a recreational diver and lots of pros moving forward in your diving

Right now a lot of BP/W vendors are offering steep discounts.

is this David Sutton from the Explorer ?

This David Sutton appears to be a tin knocker, based on his profile.

Dave Sutton, the RB diver and Capt of Explorer is a test pilot.

Looks like we have another David Sutton. Welcome Dave!

In any case, I would recommend a BP/W setup. We have an upcoming article on it on thinkingdiver.com. There are very little cons for getting in a backplate/wing early in the life of a recreational diver and lots of pros moving forward in your diving

As a designer / manufacturer of Back Plates and Wings, I'll second your suggestion.:wink:

Dave,

Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding Backplates and Wings.

Tobin

I use a backplate and wing rig too, and love the simplicity, versatility, and above all performance. It makes cold water diving a lot nicer, as you can take some weight off the belt. There are tons of threads about them if you feel inclined to take a look.

I use it for single tank or doubles, microprene skin or drysuit... it's been excellent for all my needs, and I can't see ever buying another BC... unless I somehow wear out my wing and need to replace it.

Last edited:
Oceanic Excursion for pool work and the odd time when I want weight integration and don't want to think too much....:D

D/R TransPac for travel when weight is a consideration but still want the ability to customize

BP/W for dry suit with heavy undergarments where the ability to take weight off is appreciated and for the stability when diving doubles

The TransPac and BP/W usually are paired with a DUI harness for the weights.

Different tools for different jobs. Works for me. YMMV.

Oceanic Excursion for pool work and the odd time when I want weight integration and don't want to think too much....:D

As you said, YMMV, but I find I have to do less thinking when I use the same BC for everything.

I use a BP/W when diving dry, and a Zeagle Stiletto for travel.

The BP/W is used because it takes 12lbs of lead off my belt when diving dry.

The Stiletto is nice because it is compact, lightweight, and easy to travel with.

Different tools for different things.

You are going to get overwhelmed with BP/W aficionados. Most every BC question is responded to with the BP/W hammer. They have good uses, but Zeagle makes fine BC's as well.

If you are planning on diving doubles, or need to get some weight off the belt, the BP/W is a good solution. If those are not your goals, I feel a good Back Inflate BC maybe a better solution. A BP/W with a heavy steel plate and STA (like mine) does not travel well as it is heavy, and weight does not cost much or anything to rent.

You are going to get overwhelmed with BP/W aficionados.
You're also likely to see a lot of posts from people who, for whatever reason, are bothered by the number of people who absolutely love diving with a backplate and wing. BC choice is one of the topics most frequently overdiscussed here, and there is a lot of zeal.

Don't take anyone's word for it... investigate and try out all the options that interest you and decide for yourself.

Don't take anyone's word for it... investigate and try out all the options that interest you and decide for yourself.

Forget about independent thinking and personal choice...just drink the BP/W Kool Aid and shut up! :wink::D

In all seriousness, I now dive w/ a BP/W after going through the natural(IMHO) progression from jacket style, to back-inflate and then to BP/W set-up. Try it you'll like it and if you don't there's plenty of BCDs out there to choose from. Unfortunately, I can't recommend one since I don't use them. Like Matt said, search some of the Q&A forums and threads about the BCD vs. BP/W debate. Good luck.

LobstaMan

When I first started I bought a cheepo sequest that really was lacking. It was good quality but flimsy. I then bought a back inflate that has served me for 5 yrs now and I like it. Had I known whay I do now as Ive demoed a BP&W'ings I would have gone that route from the start.

There is no feeling of freedom and trim better then using a BP&Wings unless you are using no BC at all.

Back Plate and wings all the way!! spend the money once the right way instead of twice like I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom