Sportsways reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter bought a set of regs several years ago that need to be serviced and I'm wondering if they are worth servicing or if there are parts available.

The reg set seams to work as she was diving with it this summer down to about 30 feet and did not seem to have a problem.

The second stage has a black plastic body with a chrome ring that holds the black plastic front plate on and says WATERLUNG 200 SPORTWAYS on the purge button and the OCT appears to be the same second but has an orange face plate that says OCTOPUS 911 SPORTSWAYS.

The first stag is About 3 3/4" long 1 1/4" in diameter with the yoke connector coming off at 90 degrees from the main body on the same end as the HP port. The three low pressure ports come out on the opposite end of the HP. All the ports are located at the ends of the long axis of the reg. there are four holes evenly spaced around the circumference of the 1st stage about a inch from the LP ports.

Any information would be appreciated

Its not likely you will find a shop willing to rebuild the Sportways second stage. It is a simple, pretty much generic second. While OEM parts are not available, if a shop is willing, parts from other regs will fit. No idea what the first stage is but post a couple of photos. On second read, that sounds like a SW first like the one that went with the 200. Are all 3 ports on the end cap in a triangle, arranged in a manner that the hoses will exit the reg parallel and in line with the long axis of the reg? If so, the above about the parts and repair hold true. Not likely anyone will touch it due to lack of OEM parts but it is a simple flow by piston reg and parts from other regs will fit. I have one on the bench now, restoring it. It would be an OK reg for messing around in the pool or the quarry but I would not take it on a trip, no parts or service, plus it's will not be much of a preformer even if 100%.

Thanks for the Info. That is the description of the 1st stage. I'll attach a picture of the first and second. I am going to try to get her to pick up a set of better regs if she plans on diving.

I was going to use one of the seconds for an oct on an up coming trip as I normally use a safe second but will not be bring my BC so I will need an octo.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 185
I remember that regulator form the late 70's, maybe early 80's, but I think they were out of business by the 80's. I have never actually service any of the Sportsways (we were dealers for Scubapro, USD, etc.), but from the diagrams that I have seen and looking at it looks like a typical design.

The first stage looks like a typical flow through balanced piston design, but I haven't actually seen the inside.

The second stage looks like a basic down stream demand valve. It should be no problem having it serviced and it would function fine as an octopus.

Back in the early 70's I remember that those Waterlung regulators were highly regarded. Sometimes, the second stage needed adjustment and this was done turning a nut which provides tension on the demand lever. It is a time tested design and I agree with Luis, it might be serviceable. However, diaphragms exhaust valves and exhaust tees might be difficult to find but it is possible that some comparable items would work. The seat might be generic. First stage service might be doable with a replacement seat and O rings the main actors.

That is exactly the one I have on the bench. With a little effort you can likely find parts that would work but I doubt any shop would touch it. The first stage is a flow by design and has a couple of O-rings and a HP seat much like a Sherwood or a USD Aquarius. Most likely you can turn the seat over and reuse it if it needs replacement. The second is a standard down stream type, generic LP seat and a standard exhaust valve. The diaphragm is going to the difficult part, mine was trash-hard and crumbly so my bet is yours is not in good shape either. As a fun DIY project reg it would be OK but I would not spend the money to have a shop restore it although I doubt any would due to liability reasons.

That is the exact regulator that I first purchased in 1974 (or maybe 1973) (my first reg). I still have the first stage, but the yoke got bent and the chrome is off..not sure of the second stage. It was VERY expensive as I recall, like $135.

That was the top of the line sportways reg (which was an excellent reg).

I used that thing for like 8 years and never had it serviced. Finally it was freeflowing and leaking and I got the shop guy to show me how to take it apart. The O-rings were not much more than grease stains... I could NOT beleive that it was still functioning more or less. Replaced some parts and used it for a bunch more years, til it fell and bent the yoke and wouldn't seal on a tank any more.

I bet it still has the original metal mouth piece clamp that is better than any POS zip tie they put on $500 regulators now days

Memory lane I tell you.

Back
Top Bottom