Manta sightings in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was about to rip into you for not knowing the difference between a Southern Stingray and a Manta...but thankfully I watched the whole video. :)

I was wondering also if you had ray confusion, unitl I watched the entire video. Thanks for sharing.

Vanessar

Sweet video. Pretty funny, I did the same thing...."I really hope he knows the difference between a Southern Stingray and a Manta", them swooooosh, out of nowhere....awesome. Thanks so much for posting.

Kevin

Last April, we saw a couple of rays a ways off the BDA dock. A DM who also saw them said they were mantas. I asked how he could tell, at that distance, they were not eagle rays. He shrugged and said he couldn't.

Thanks, Blackrock, for posting that video. Today at Red Slave, my buddy and I saw the biggest Southern Stingray either of us have ever seen and we remarked, "That must be what people have been seeing around here, thinking it's a Manta". My faith has been restored. Awesome video and one you were so fortunate to get! I'm going out in the deep tomorrow and pray to get lucky (no wisecracks necessary).

Great video thanks for sharing. I hope I get to see one some day. I know my work friend has been diving for 25 years and he got to see one see one in Cozumel this last October. l hope that some day I can check that of my list of things I have seen, i just really do not want to wait 25 years :)

Thanks, Blackrock, for posting that video. Today at Red Slave, my buddy and I saw the biggest Southern Stingray either of us have ever seen and we remarked, "That must be what people have been seeing around here, thinking it's a Manta". My faith has been restored. Awesome video and one you were so fortunate to get! I'm going out in the deep tomorrow and pray to get lucky (no wisecracks necessary).

Yeah, I'm sure I'll spend a little more time at the bottom of the reef at 1,000 steps next visit. I know it's a shot in the dark, but have heard of several sightings at the bottom of that reef. It'll at least be fun trying :zen:

Been to Kona and done the night dive but no Mantas that time. Maldives had half dozen gliding around us just feet away for half an hour. Ahhhhhhhh bliss.

Oh and we saw one in Speyside Tobago as well just a baby one similar in size to the video one in this thread.

I was about to rip into you for not knowing the difference between a Southern Stingray and a Manta...but thankfully I watched the whole video. :)

:rofl4: I was about to do the same thing....Then I figured I would fast forward and there it was.

I saw a manta while I was there in June last year. I was at 1000 steps in about 130' when it came along. It wasn't a large one but a manta nonetheless.

Took a video of it-
Scuba Diving Videos Manta Ray in Bonaire Scuba Videos

What an excellent catch.....twice on the island and nothing....maybe next time :D. Just one more reason for me to return (like I needed yet another).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom