Oil questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am getting really close to finally getting my older Bauer k14 up and running. It has been a journey. It currently has a synthetic oil of unknown brand. My plan is to run the unit with old oil and old filter for about an hour. Then change the oil and the filter and get on with filling the cascade. I have read about the mobil oil and several others, I have been getting the bits I needed to rehab the unit from August industries in Texas. They have a oil "s-800" that they recomend for Bauer units, can anyone comment on this oil? Also would you change the oil again after 20 hours like I saw in another thread as a precaution?

I plan on buying my filter cartrige from them also, if anyone has a better source or plan please share. I have built a oxyhacker stik on steroids and will post pictures of the unit when up and running.

Comments on this will be greatly appreciated.
Eric Sackett
Waterpirate@lycos.com

Chemlube 751 or 800 are the two I have seen recommended for the Bauer. I have been using 751 for the last few years pumping Nitrox with good results. The 800 is a newer oil, which I may switch to soon. Many of the companies seem to sell identical oils and the final number seems to match for the most part telling you which oil they are referring to.

Mat.

Thanx for the input Matt.

Any thoughts on procedure for replacing the existing oil? Or should I just proceed as outlined in op?
Eric

The general procedure to switch oils is to run the compressor for only a few hours after the initial change, then change the oil again, then run for a longer set of hours and change again.

Initially 1-2 hours, and then 3-5 hours.

This is normally applied when switching from mineral oil to synthetic. I don't think switching between synthetics is as big a deal, but it may be prudent to do one short interval change right after the switch to be on the safe side.

Mat.

If you see oils identified as "455, 201, 501, 751, 800 they originate from Ultrachem, an independent oil company which has a solid market selling compressor oils of various types. Chemlube 800 is a fairly new offering identified chemically as a triester of SAE 40 viscosity. I believe that Bauer is recommending this oil in hopes that it will be less volatile at high operating temps. One might surmise that Bauer became "spooked" after reports by divers and firemen of carbon monoxide and volatile hydrocarbons. The conditions that produce these gases are tied to climate and compressor maintenance and are thought to be fairly rare. Not all incidences of carbon monoxide are related to heat and oil. For example, German reports of the Maldives accident implicate poor procedures, an internal combustion engine and leaky "snorkel tube", eg, exhaust gas was sucked into the compressor intake.

Thank you all I will keep you posted, and put up a few pics soon.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom