Another Shark attack in Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parso

Registered
Reaction score
We have had another shark attack here in Sydney. That makes 2 in 2 days. The most recent one happened at Bondi Beach at about 7.00pm. A body boarder was attacked and like the Navy diver, it looks like he may also lose his hand. This is the first attack at Bondi since about 1926.

We have had a number of shark related incidents over the summer. Some put it down to lots of bait fish and clean water. Others say that, due to overfishing, the sharks have limited food supplies.

I dived in the harbour last week and had about 1.5 metre viz. So much for clean water.

I really hope hysteria does not set in. We all know how much the press love a shark attack.

I hope both victims make a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Parso

Actually, the poorer the vis the more likely an attack. Have they guessed what species of shark that they are dealing with? Sharks will follow food sources, so if there is more fish in the water then of course, more opportunity to be mistaken for them.

I wish them the best and a speedy recovery.
Carolyn:shark2:

They believe the first attack in the harbour was a Bull Shark. I,m not to sure what sort of shark was involved in the 2nd incident.

There has been a lot of talk over here concerning the beach meshing program. There have been arguments for and against. Personally, I'm against the meshing program, mainly due to the by-catch (and the death of sharks).

Most shark experts would advise against surfing at dusk, in dirty water, and on grey dark stormy evenings. The surfer involved in the 2nd incident was doing all 3, though how many people do this world wide and get away with it. Lucky for him, there were off duty doctors on the beach to help with first aid.

Autralian rivers such as Brisbane are also known for bull shark attacks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom