10 years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter was 10 when she was certified. She got her Jr. AOW at 11 and is a terrific diver. I do agree with the point that it very much depends on the maturity of the child. Sammi is a straight A student, very focused and a terrific athlete. Even so, I didn't push her into diving --it was something she wanted to do.

Now she wants to be a cave diver.

Technically yes, but it really depends on the kid and the kid's interests.

My suggestion to parents that want to get a child certified is to hand them the book and say, "Come to me with any questions or when it's done, then we can schedule your class." Then never say another word about it. What that accomplishes is it shows if the child has real interest. It is not a substitute for real classroom training, but if the kid really wants to dive, that book will be back in a few days fully completed. If it never gets done, then it's not really something the child wants to do.

Rachel

How can you argue with this? My kids started diving at 10 1/2 and 15. They were so proud to earn their OW and in the 5 years since have become my two favorite buddies to dive with.

KIDS_OW_MOMS_GENEOLOGY_PICS_032-1.JPG

kidsOWgroup2-1.JPG

Here's what I said a few years ago:

I'm headed down to the Keys in two weeks with my nine-year old. He will get his first SCUBA experience during that trip. He has been free diving for a couple of years now and is quite comfortable making breathhold excursions for between sixty and ninty seconds.

I started SCUBA when I was seven (there were no certifying agencies). My Dad and I learned to dive by reading books and being water people to begin with.

And as for feelings of unease rise from fears about what might happen in an emergency ... I've been teaching diving since 1971 and I'm furthest from the danger line when diving in company with a similarly seasoned diver. Next furthest away would be diving by myself (which I don't do because I like the social aspect of diving) and the most dangerous dives I ever make are when I have to look after myself and two students (that's my usual working group, sometime four students with an AI). I think that diving with my nine-year old will be far less dangerous than that.

Would I turn my son over to someone else for instruction? Sure ... there are Instructors that I trained whom I'd trust with the task. When it comes time for my son to dive without me (likely four or five years off), I will have him work with one of them until they are convinced that he is ready take on the burden of buddy diving as an equal.

This topic never fails to stir unease in me, but that makes me the oddball. I guess it stems from the perpetual "what if" questions I harbor concerning pairing a small child with a big adult (I know...I'm making some assumptions there). If a worst-case scenario should occur and the adult should be the one with the problem, can the child not only assist, but perform a full rescue? Think about it carefully before making any decisions: can that ten year old lift and tow, summon help from a dive site, give emergency care, etc...? If the child is part of a team including two adults, I don't have any qualms at all. If the child is being groomed to be an adult's sole partner, then I'm uneasy.

This topic never fails to stir unease in me, but that makes me the oddball. I guess it stems from the perpetual "what if" questions I harbor concerning pairing a small child with a big adult (I know...I'm making some assumptions there). If a worst-case scenario should occur and the adult should be the one with the problem, can the child not only assist, but perform a full rescue? Think about it carefully before making any decisions: can that ten year old lift and tow, summon help from a dive site, give emergency care, etc...? If the child is part of a team including two adults, I don't have any qualms at all. If the child is being groomed to be an adult's sole partner, then I'm uneasy.

I was taught that only RESCUE divers should try to rescue.

I would not try to bring up a body that was not breathing..
so what is the scenario you are suggesting?

Buddy found lying with no bubbles. un responsive. Mark the spot, do a safe ascent and get help.

Buddy OOA? I think any 10 yr old can do that for you.

It really does depend on your childs maturity.

I dove with a 16yr old and a dm on a liveaboard for 1 dive. After about 20 min the DM and I were cold and when we signaled to the 16yr old that we were cold and ready to go up, he got mad and in his temper tantrum shot to the surface. Didn't look back once.

His dad had a hard time believing us but, his dad also felt it was a good idea to let his son get rip roaring drunk at the beach party.

We all want to think the best of our kids and I'm sure yours are great. So, just ask yourself if they are mature enough not to throw a temper tantrum in the water and make poor choices that could potentially hurt them.

My boys are certified at 13 / 12. They are likely safer than many of the buddies I have been assigned to over the years. Primarily because they get retested by dear ol' dad (from the books) before we head out to every trip. We also talk extensively about problems and their resolution. If my wife ever certified, I wouldn't feel nearly as responsible to make sure they are extremely well trained and extremely cautious and safe when they dive. I would agree that it depends on the child, but I think the fact that they still respect their elders can be an asset (so long as they don't depend on others to keep them safe.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom