Lobster hunting in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

still new

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am off to Mexico for a month of living by the sea and daily diving, I was wondering if it is okay to take Lobsters from the reef? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'll be south of Playa Del Carmen.:confused:

I've wondered the same thing seeing lobsters poking out of rocks while diving in mexico. I was diving in areas that I imagine were no take areas though.

A lot of the lobster fishing may be controlled by local fishing cooperatives. You may not be able to legally take them. ... I can't think of how to find out.
When I was there, I was diving with the local cooperative representitive. I finally figured out that the local fishery was urchin, so I went for those. Something different. Something interesting. Pretty good. Urchin roe on Ritz crackers with lemon and ketchup ... and a good dose of tequila.
... They had been crab fishing before I dove. They take off one claw. I was down and all of a sudden, crabs are raining on me.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

You are not allowed to take any Lobsters in Mexico what so ever... Mexico has some funny laws. This is one of them... Only Mexican citizens may take crustatians in Mexican waters... Good luck
James

What James said.

"A fishing license allows to capture only fin fish. It does not allow to capture any other mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuava, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time."

Here's a link to the remarkably brief Mexican Sport Fishing Regulations: http://www.conapescasandiego.org/contenido.cfm?cont=REGULATIONS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom