New-bie? Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm2613

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I'm new on scuba board (name's mike). Recently completed open water and heading on my first dive trip to Curacao in ~month. I own mask/fin/snorkel and a 3mm suit, but have many questions about the rest of the gear.

Given that i really hve no dive experience at all (open water dives were freshwater florida), I know that i shouldnt even be wasting my time looking at gear yet... still.. I am.

Also, apologies for not placing seperate posts in the more specific gear sections

1) i'm looking for a durable budget lightweight system: Does this exist? Should i be thinking budget at all in this sport?

Ex) Tusa 2100 BCD.. 130$ but no weights and no chest strap... is it really worth it? Should I be considering a BCD at all?

Right now i'm eyeing the Oceanic Geo PDC, I am cluless on bcd (or even what type to get), clueless on reg/octo... and probably just need some good convincing that i'm not experienced enough to be spending money on all of this...

Any advice?
much thanks,
Mike

This is the only advice I'm comfortable giving...WAIT. Try different setups and see what is most comfortable for you. I'm in middle of switching mine over right now and wish I hadn't bought the initial setup.

Thats what I figure.. i just find myself wasting so much time reading about gear since I booked my trip... btw, what are you switching to, just curious

Welcome to the Board and have fun diving. Take your time getting your equipment and make sure it is what you want.

It took me about a year to find the right setup for the diving that I do. Did my OW, AOW, deep diver, and EANx on rental gear since I was uncertain of what I wanted. In the last year I changed my mind many times about what my overall gear setup would be.

My advice is to wait, ask questions, talk to your LDS, etc. Your new to the sport, your views and thoughts about your gear setup will change too.

I think I will wait (diveshop has decent rental rates for my trip coming up), and i'm sure using that gear will help me make up my mind on what i really want... now to decide if i invest in a computer o_O

Welcome!

I think you've gotten good advice. It's great to own all of your own gear, but not so much fun to have to re-buy gear when you decide the stuff you originally thought was wonderful turns out to not be what you really need (been there, done that :D ).

In very general terms, simpler is often better with respect to a lot of the gear you can buy. The "latest and greatest" often really isn't. This also goes for the "most expensive must be the best".... look hard at the "upper-middle" of a lot of manufacturer's product lines and you'll find good durable designs that have been around for several years and have proven themselves. So shop around, ask lots of questions, but mainly, HAVE FUN!! :D

Just rent your gears for your first dive vacation and have fun. The gear will already be broken in and serviced, ready to be used, and chances are the dive masters are familiar with their own rental gears and can help you dial in the dive weights quickly. If you were to buy your own gears, chances are you're not going to be able to try them out before hand and that means you're going to have to get your gears ready and set up, dialed in all during your dive vacations.

PDC, save your money, for now. Until you know and understand the tables, their limitations and what they actually mean, you basically have no business diving with a computer. Learn the TABLES, and yes, this will take years. Although you will be taught how to use the tables in your OW class. You won't even touch the theory's, background and testing, of them until at least taking Nitrox, and when you take Advanced Nitrox or Intro to Deco you will really learn something about the tables. Point being, LEARN THE BASICS, then look for ways to make things easier.

Back
Top Bottom