Suspenders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwhitney2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone dive with suspenders for your weights? I always have a heck of a time with my weight belt sliding around and falling down so I thought these might help.

DUI makes a weight system, that is kind of like putting suspenders on a weight belt. The main difference is that the belt of the DUI system is a thick, like 4", wide belt that rides nicely on one hips as opposed to on ones waist like a standard weight belt.

Commercial divers have been using the same sort of thing for 100's of years. The old MK-V diver dress has a wide belt with suspenders. And teh newer Miller and DESCO weight belts are very similar.

Give it a try and let us know what happens. I would reccomend a material that does not streach or soften in water/sea water. Normal suspenders from Walmart probably won't last past one dive. Try nylon webbing.

Looks like a good product. A lot cheeper than a DUI Clasic system.

The problem with weight belt suspenders that go over a traditional weight belt is if you need to ditch the weights, it could be difficult depending on how the belt/suspenders are rigged. I tried that system but for me, discovered something better. I have a suspender weight belt combo that has individual weight compartments that open downward for ditching weights. It was made by Andy's (no longer) and worked but took some practice to get in the habit of opening individual compartments. The DUI system solves this problem with ditchable weights activated by pulling handles on each side, much as you would in a weight integrated bc. It is a good system, I know quite a few people who use it up here in AK.

If you follow the advice of most of the "SB gurus" you should never dump your weights, so a weight bet on suspenders fits the bill. :D

If you follow the advice of most of the "SB gurus" you should never dump your weights, so a weight bet on suspenders fits the bill. :D

Thanks for your help. I think I'll go with the $20 pair and if it sucks then I'm only out $20.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom