I don't play the guitar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I came across this video on Youtube and I have to share it.

I don't play the guitar, I play another instrument, and even if you don't like rock music you have to see this.

Watch his body..... he is *so* relaxed playing this... it's obvious for someone who plays and instrument (any instrument) to see that what he's doing here isn't even anywhere near his boundary level.

What an amazing talent.

As someone who has been playin for over 35 years all I can say is wow! I wasn't that good till my mid 20's! I'd love to see this kid play when he is my age.

There is some really amazing stuff on Youtube actually.

Here's something closer to home for me. This woman's 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata is so powerful, so energized, that it would have brought Beethoven to tears.

Watch how plugged into the panio she is. She's talking to it the way Keith Jarrett (possibly the world's most talented jazz musician) sings to his. At one point she looks like she wants to crawl right inside it.

This deeply moved me.

And speaking of Keith Jarrett........

If you ask me there are three kinds of musicians in this world.

Ones who play their instruments (50%)

Ones who are played by their instruments (40%)

and ones who plug in to their instruments and breathe *life* into what is essentially a *thing* and bring pure unadulterated music into this world

What you're seeing Jarrett do here is not show. This is a man whose soul cannot be separated from his instrument. Like Elvis couldn't keep his legs still.....

Unfortunately for us, the "great ones" of Jazz are all but gone now. Keith Jarrett, Pat Matheny, Lonnie Smith and one or two others are the torch bearers of a style of music that, while not necessarily doomed to extinction, may in fact skip a generation.

In tribute to them I will post a video from each.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the torch bearers of Jazz. The three most talented jazz musicians this planet has to offer. Three men who tune in, plug in, and breathe *life* into their instruments.

Keith Jarrett

Pat Matheny, playing with Joni Mitchell. Those strings are friggen tied off in his soul.

and Lonnie Smith, who started out begging people for a break. The owner of his first Hammond Organ said "if you can drag it out of here you can have it". Who would have known that this boy who started off with nothing would become one of the legends of our generation. Seen here jamming with a bunch of Dutch nobodies who are in the 50% who play their instruments. If you don't believe me then pause it at 3:38 and look at what you see. 3 grown up musicians who (although they keep playing--professionals that they are) are in fact quite spellbound by Smith.

Last edited:
As regards that first video: There's a lot of this going around. Lots of technique and not much music. As a long-time musician I'm not too impressed with this, although it is outstanding for what it is. The woman attempting to make sense out of Beethoven is much more impressive. That music is not always clear as to intent or direction.

That first video was great!

This one is funny but, very well thought out.

^^ that was well done.

Here's another favorite of mine (as you can see I'm all over the map musically). It's an old video but this singer had a range of 5 (count 'em) 5 octaves! Amazing. Probably even now most people will recognise this piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7MqTrXwojk

Sorry can't embed this one

Diver0001,
I remember her, that's a great video.

Here's something very esoteric for classical enthusiasts:
YouTube - Tamara Volskaia domra Saint-Saens Rondo Capricioso

The woman in this video is playing a well-known violin piece on a domra which is essentially a mandolin with single strings.

^^ That was tight!

Here's another one. Watch the video first and after you've watched that, then click on the spoiler button

She wrote that too. The kid is 6 years old

R..

Back
Top Bottom