Help Dealing With My LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwhitney2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So back on Jan 24th I went to my LDS to pick up a tank boot. They had to order it and had me pay up front, not a big deal. I was told it would be one week for it to come in. One week comes no one calls me so I call. I was told that the owner waited to order it so he could add it to a large order to keep from having to charge me shipping, I've already paid so I thought that was odd. I was told to call back in a week so I did. I was told it was in and to come down to pick it up whenever I like. So about 20 minutes later I went in and they tried to give me the wrong boot size. They didn't have my order in and again I was told that the owner added it to a large order so I wouldn't have to pay shipping and I should call back in a week. Now I should say that this part hasn't prevented a dive or anything major and it's not a big deal. I'm just not sure what to do. :confused: Is it normal for a tank boot to take 3 weeks? I'm thinking if I don't receive it after three weeks I'm going to cancel it ask for a refund and purchase it somewhere else. I'm curious to hear from shop owners. Thanks in advance.

I've had this sort of problem with my LDS too. I don't think they put their orders in in a timely fashion. I wonder if we use the same shop.

This is typical LDS behavior.

they don't have enough with just your tank boot to make the minimum order with the distributor, or they might be on credit hold, or on COD only payment form (which adds several bucks to the UPS cost), or the shipping costs of just one item eats up any profit they will make selling you a tank boot.

(or they just didn't order it and are lying to you....)

I've seen lots of LDS's give all kinds of excuses for not ordering stuff.

If you were local, I've got a tank boot I'd give you. (but shipping it across country will prob cost more than what you paid for it at your LDS).

The shipping costs for a single tank boot could easily be far more than the cost of the boot. If it is added to a tank order the shipping will probably be free. Often boots, when ordered with tanks as a package, cost little extra. If the shop is ordering tanks for someone who does not want the boots they will order the package and then break it up. In any case, a dive shop has to do everything they can to maximize their margin and stay in business.

So back on Jan 24th I went to my LDS to pick up a tank boot.

. . .

stuff deleted

It usually doesn't pay to have your LDS order small stuff. If they don't have it in stock, they really can't afford to order it for you. It could easily cost them $10 in shipping to get you the $10 tank boot that they might make a few bucks on.

If you want something small and they don't have it, just find it on the internet and order it. You'll pay shipping, but at least you'll have it.

Terry

it would be the fibbing & fudging that would turn me off. if a shop is going to wait for a larger order, i want to be told that up front. it might be just fine, or i might decide to *gasp* order online for less hassle.

I understand the issue associated with shipping cost and the size of the order and waiting to make one large order. I can't believe that it would take 3 weeks to place an order. That doesn't seem right.

Well for bits like this i never order from my LDS. if they have it in stock, thats different.

Most manufactures and distributors require a minimum order to be placed. It's likely that your LDS was waiting to make the minimum order. The costomer service of the LDS wasn't adequate though as they didn't explain that to you and let you make a choice of to wait or purchase the item some where else.

I think I'd call around and look for other local options with the intent of canceling the order and buying elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom