Hood Specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been a number of things I was not a believer in until
I tried one: drysuits, backplates, and Cricket's hoods.

How do you feel about drygloves?

I am sold on drysuits and backplates. This weekend will be the first time I use the drygloves that came with the suit I bought three years ago.

Can anyone relay feedback on the 7mm hood from DUI? I have the DUI CLX450 and haven't dove neither yet but was wondering how many of you drysuit divers started off with the 7mm DUI hood and then went over to Crickets 12mm hood.

Thanks,

MG

Can anyone relay feedback on the 7mm hood from DUI? I have the DUI CLX450 and haven't dove neither yet but was wondering how many of you drysuit divers started off with the 7mm DUI hood and then went over to Crickets 12mm hood.

Thanks,

MG

I started with a 7mm hood and am dang glad I have the Otter Bay. Really how many times do you need to hear it? :lotsalove:

Dry gloves are another item I am sold on. I have arthritis and they make a world of difference. My hands never get cold even. That leaves me with more dexterity since I can feel them. Plus with a tight fitting glove it is not as thick as a 5mm glove, but slightly thicker than a 3mm. Even full of water a dry glove is warmer as there is no water exchange. :cool2:

I have the DUI 7mm hood, with the neck cut off, and it's plenty warm for me in Monterey. I have never used a 12mm hood, but it sounds like a beast. I don't know that I'd want that much thickness on my dome.

Thanks,

MG

I did. My DUI suit came with a 7mm. After about 50 dives I got a 12 mm hood and haven't looked back.

Thanks,

MG

I've used both in Monterey. The Otter Bay hood is much much better for the water temps we have here.

I dive wet with a 7mm wetsuit over a 3mm hood/vest combo. That is more then enough (for me). IMO unless you are really sensitive to cold a 12mm is gonna be overkill. The 5mm should be more then enough.

I'd say do some dives with your 5mm and see how you feel.

Yeah? How many dives do you have??? Your profile says 0-24. Is that accurate?

I have really thick hair, so 5mm felt pretty goood to me... until I got a 7 mm from Otter Bay. It is soooo much nicer, warmer, and fits perfectly! I even wear it in So Cal in temps as high as 60F. My sac rate went down a bit, too, as I was warmer, my air consumption is lower.

I have a friend with a 12 mm hood. He is bald... so he really needs the extra insulation, as his head doesn't have any natural insulation left! :rofl3: He even wears it in 70F water... :shakehead:

Accurate for norcal. I have lots of extra insulation so I don't get as cold. I've also been more tolerant towards the cold (well as cold as this area gets).

Gotcha...well... One thing I have learned is that the more you dive, the less tolerant of the temp of the area you dive one becomes. Those of you that have dove in warm waters, think of the DMs... ever notice how most of them wear thick (by our standards) wetsuits for their "warmer" waters? Also, people that start off in wetsuits, saying they feel fine, after a while, they get drysuits, and never go back?

Cricket at Otter Bay knows her stuff... get the warm custom hood... it is worth the $$$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom