Instructor certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgaski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at getting my instructor certification. I'm 54 and I have all the necessary certifications except for rescue and dive master, which I plan to do this year. I was wondering if I'm to old, what the opportunites are for employment etc. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

I'm looking at getting my instructor certification. I'm 54 and I have all the necessary certifications except for rescue and dive master, which I plan to do this year. I was wondering if I'm to old, what the opportunites are for employment etc. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Personally i don't think you are too old. In fact, good for you for wanting to do this. Are you looking at working locally or somewhere else? The LDS should be able to tell you what jobs are available.

I don't think you are too old. I took my DM class with two guys who were 50. They were in excellent physical condition and mastered the mandatory skills with ease. Check with the location or places you might like to work in/for to check on the job availabilities.

I'm certified through ssi, but the nearest ssi facility is about 1hr away. On the other hand the nearest padi facility is about 15mins. I don't know if I should stay ssi or go padi. For employment locally padi would probably be a better choice but at the same time I like ssi.

I have all the necessary certifications except for rescue and dive master, which I plan to do this year.
I'm actually curious as to what you mean by this -- what "certifications" do you have that you think are necessary EXCEPT for the two you don't have?

BTW, I finished my DM cert last year at age 60 and I'm looking at doing my IDC in March at age 61. I do intend to teach -- but this is a hobby for me -- I am NOT looking to be a full time employee ever again!

You go !!!!! Peter Guy....... I am 61 in great shape and just finished the Dive Con course SSI. Love teaching and staying active..

" 60 is the NEW 40s"

I'm looking at getting my instructor certification. I'm 54 and I have all the necessary certifications except fsor rescue and dive master, which I plan to do this year. I was wondering if I'm to old, what the opportunities are for employment etc. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

I don't think you're too old, of course, your only a year older than I so I do have a bias. As to the opportunities, what do you want to do with your Instructor rating? If you want to travel, the PADI or NAUI route would make it less complicated to find a job. PADI or NAUI allows their instructors to be independent where with SSI, your required to be shop affiliated. With so many SSI instructors out there and already working for destination shops, the available positions are reduced.

Whichever route you decide on, have fun with your training. It was a fun experience.

Check with the LDS that trained you and where you purchased your equipment from.You did establish a relationship with them during training and purchasing gear,correct?That LDS would be the most likely one to offer you any classes.
As to age, I am hitting 58 this year soon and still teach actively,new class starting every 2 weeks and at a minimum conduct 2/3 refreshers a week..
You have no necessary certifications,you may have ow and advance but that is not anywhere near what you need..You need rescue along with a current cpr-1st aid certification.Then divemaster certification. How many dives have you logged?What experience do you have?
If looking to work in the islands I would say get PADI (I am also a PADI & former-SSI/NASDS instr) and with that get additional skills such as speciality instructor certifications in uw photo/nitrox/wreck etc..perhaps a USCG operator license,outboard/diesel repair/compressor repair..anything that makes you more marketable to a resort.

I'm 55 and was just certified as a NAUI instructor last year. I currently teach at the FL Keys Community Colege, and enjoy out-performing the younger students. So: "Just Do IT!"

Good for you! I have been teaching for four years and we are the same age. Although this is my hobby, I sign up to teach as often as I can (and work and wife will let me). I plan on keeping this up for years to come. I am having a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom