Donate Blood and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BekaLynn

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering, is there anything about diving after donating blood? How long should you wait after donating before you go diving again?

Thanks for the advice.

Beka

I am so frustrated by the search. I tried that and it said nothing was found..

sorry!

If you go to "advanced search" and type in whatever you are looking for and choose "title only" that is the best way to search. I did it with the word "blood" to find that thread and there were other threads about donating blood that came up. Don't bother with the regular search, always go advanced.

There was a DAN article some time ago - still available on their website I believe - that gave a basic guideline: 1 pt. donation, wait a minimum of 24 hours before diving. That gives the body an opportunity to replenish the blood supply and bring the hemoglobin levels back to normal.

I gave a double red cell donation on Monday and dove on Tuesday. I asked the doctor at the blood center about it and he said after 24 hours I should be fine.

I did two dives in 55 degree water and had a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom