Recent near miss in Bahamas found on YouTube!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks goodness for divers like you who are alert, they truely have you to thank for their lives. This is my fear when I am diving to run out of air or have a malfunction. I want to dive deeper and experience more but am afraid.

I agree - artificial intelligence is no match for natural born stupidity.
:lol:

Now that is so true and very funny. The problem is that the only intelligence that some people have is artificial.

I too question the legitimacy of this clip. Everything seems way to nicely put together and everybody is too composed for it to be real including the kids at zero psi in their tanks....this is of course just my opinion.

If the video was legit, then those two were extremely lucky that someone was there to grab them. They could have had two dead divers on their hands. But I have to agree with the others. 150ft to 15ft in under 2 minutes seems strange and of course dangerous. But, if all their air was about gone, they really didn't have a choice. No breath, no life!

Real or not, that kind of situation is just scary.

Probability of this happening is 100 percent true. I have been diving enough to see that many "divers" who go overseas to dive have logged like 2 dives in a pool and diving 80ft with everyone else there. From what I have gathered is that although they do ask for your certificate they dont necessarily enforce what dives you can and can not dive on. As a result these devious divers cause problems not only for the group but for dive master as well. I seen all too many diving for 15 minutes and running out of air.

Closest I ever got to 0 was 400psi but i had my dive master with me and he had about 1500 left in a steel 120 tank. I spent next 20 minutes watching him from the surface with boat not bothering to stop by. That was my 2nd ever ocean dive. Since than many many dives later I can squeeze out an hour from 80 aluminum 45 mins when i take my video camera with me and film stuff and move around. I am strongly considering buying spare air not necessarily just for myself but because situations like one in this thread do happen and i dont want to be THE diver trying to save 2 other people when i myself have under 1500lbs. 1500lbs for 3 people with a safety stop would not last too long. Need a safety cusion.

It's kind ironic that I just spoke with 2 people that have over 2000 dives under their belts this past weekend. They have used their original RDP back in the early 80's, when one could go down over 140ft with no problems. They sure did look healthy to me. They did, at that time, had to do a decompression stop, but no problems health wise. They told me (being Dive Masters and instructors, both with the Navy and now civilian) that we being safety minded society now a days, that with the going trend, they wouldn't be surprised that the word "Conservative" will get even more out of hand. The chances of getting any DCI is close to nil with the current standards for recreational diving.

Now, I am all for safety! And I would never go deeper than what the RDP (or my computer) will allow. I just don't see taking chances with getting DCI.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom