Sand Dollar Liveaboard - Thanks John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhxSki

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from the Sand Dollar liveaboard at Catalina Island this weekend. Great diving. Really great food. Great time. This trip was alot of bang for the buck.

Steve (ScubaSteve2000), Mike (Rudebob), Jeff and I did 7 dives. Alittle brisk in a 7mm however, we managed. Boat was comfortable. Crew was very informative and helpful. Food was outstanding. All home-cooking and there was something available in the gallery from sun-up to sun-down. This trip was an outstanding value for the money.

I understand that a 3 day is tenatively scheduled for June.

Special thanks to John and Troy for putting the trip together. They did a great job.

Regards, Bill

Last edited:
Cross posted......

Well, we got home at midnight last night, slept in till 9am. As usual, a great trip aboard the Sand Dollar. Weather cooperated and the seas were calm. Viz was anywhere from 30-50ft depending on depth. Of course the best viz was at 200 ft at the farthest reaches of the sub tower. Great dive! Temps ranged from 60 on the surface to low 50's at depth. Food on the Dollar was at its best (Thanks Donna!) Crew was great as always. Always something upgraded on each trip and this was no exception. The Dollar has a new swimstep, very nice George! Capt. George was his usual accommadating self, moving the boat whenever and whereever we wanted. Even moving a couple hundred feet over so we wouldnt have such a long swim to the sub tower. Limited load of divers so plenty of room to stretch out.
Thanks to Troy and John for putting it together. Looking forward to the next trip out.

Sampson: I just broke another 'I'm never gonna do that!'

On behalf of Troy and I:

Thanks to everyone who made this a very successful and extremely safe trip. I look forward to our next outing in June.

Details to be posted this week.

jcf

Cross posted......

Capt. George was his usual accommadating self, moving the boat whenever and whereever we wanted. Even moving a couple hundred feet over so we wouldnt have such a long swim to the sub tower. Limited load of divers so plenty of room to stretch out.

Scooters make that "couple of hundred feet" a non issue......I would suggest you keep them off your never gonna do that list" . Or maybe just go ahead put it on since every thing that you add to that list gets blown off sooner or later anyway.

Hope the She-p worked out :)

Karen

Wow, that's a big surprise, I told you tuesday it was the same, just a little colder. I see a mix class and scooters in your future. By the way, I have another good wreck.

Kudos to the good ship Sand Dollar's crew and Captain George. The food was excellent. The dive sites were great! This was my first trip to Catalina and first time on a live aboard but it won't be my last. The crew were great, knowlegable, helpfull, cool and awsome; especially Donna's cooking! Yumm-o! They kept the food and fills coming at a fevered pitch. We dove Eagle Reef (2 dives), Black Rock, Memory (evening dive), Sea Fan and Blue Cavern (2 dives). I think there was a night dive at Memory too but I didn't go on it.

Vis was about 40'. Temperature at depth was a "lake-pleasant-like" 56-57 degrees. As a member of the "Wet Suit Gang" I can attest that the diving was certainly do-able in a 7mm with hood and gloves.

I spent the first night doing little more than dozing; to excited about my first live aboard to fully surrender to sleep. I heard the engines start up and felt the boat pull away from the pier. Before long we were fully underway. The calm seas imparted a gentle sleep-inducing side to side rocking as we made our way to the first dive site. The singing of the anchor chain was our alarm clock, signaling our arrival and calling us to breakfast.

I'm looking forward to my next trip on the Sand Dollar.

Steve.

Sampson: I just broke another 'I'm never gonna do that!'[/QUOTE]

Karen you make me laugh! And yes I know what your last "I'm never going to do that" was, nice. So "what are you not going to do next", please do tell? And why is Art so quiet?

Love ya,
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom