PADI OW Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tec1.JPG

It must be a distinctive specialty. I haven't heard of PADI coming out with a sidemount course. I'm in the Chicago area and have never heard of anyone offering a PADI sidemount class in the area.

I'm popping the popcorn now.

My understanding is it's geared toward technical divers with bad backs. I was also told that OMS will be making a sidemount rig in the near future, with a large lift capacity. This isn't gospel, only rumor.

You are essentially diving non-back-mounted, independent doubles. If you have a back condition that doesn't allow you to comfortably carry back-mounted doubles, or you are diving in an environment where there may be narrow passageways that preclude back-mounting, this may be a reasonable approach. Dive Rite has the Nomad, and other manufacturers may come out with rigs to support side mount in the near future. Knowing one of the instructors who teaches it, I am quite interested in trying it.

I actually started sidemounting a few months ago. Bit of a learning curve at first but now I am very happy with the setup.

What I would like to know though is if someone takes this course,buys a nice new Nomad, or similar, another first stage and spg,probably some hoses as well and then goes to Cozumel or somewhere are they going to be able to dive with it? Most recreational dive ops are not exactly enthusiastic about letting divers use doubles. (manifolded,independant or sidemounted!)

I dunno, that'd be something to take up with the charter operator. I can say, most of the time I've asked to bring something... "non-standard" (doubles, scooter, deco bottle) I always get asked "You got a card for that?" At least now, someone who's taken this class can say yes.

I dunno, that'd be something to take up with the charter operator. I can say, most of the time I've asked to bring something... "non-standard" (doubles, scooter, deco bottle) I always get asked "You got a card for that?" At least now, someone who's taken this class can say yes.

You're on the wrong charters :p

(If I were planning a dive that involved a deco bottle, I'd not be going out on a boat run by a captain who would ask to see a card)

Back
Top Bottom