How is Fantasy Island BR? New owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to FIBR 2 times and enjoyed myself both times and plan to go again next winter.

My room has always been good, enjoyed the buffet and from the first time to the 2nd time (about 5 years) I really saw the reef and animal life improve !

DM - if Darren is still there - try to go on his boat, especially if Moses is the driver.

NAIBDiver1
Daren's captain is Pedro...an unbeatable combination! They work very well together.

Hey

I was at Fantasy Island in Feb of 08. This was my first Crabian trip so I don't have alot to compair to, I agree with most of the others, Rooms good, Food OK (my wife and 4 other got a nasty case of food poisining from the Hambergers) Diving was Great with 100'+vis for the first few day and then dropped as it got rougher. Drink were...ok local fair. The only thing bad i would really have to say is that if you expect alot of night life there wasnt mush and the resort is a little isolated so if you are there to dive alot and hit the hay early, great but thats about all you can do. I would recomend you sign up for the Islad day tour, it was wonderful and you really get a look at the true flaver od the Island.

Have fun

Brian

J don't count on seing whale sharks on the south side of Roatan. or big pelagics for that matter. That's not their habitat. We are talking about relatively shallow warm water here. Great for juveniles of all sorts and small macro critters! If you do see one, buy yourself a lotery ticket!:popcorn::popcorn:

If you want chances of whale sharks, you need to head to Utila.

Whales is another thing. While I was there we spotted some pilot whales. Unfortunately they were headed in the other direction so we were unable to snorkel with them. But it could have happened!:eyebrow:

Cheers!

September sometimes isn't too bad for whale sharks--a few years ago ILR's boats saw no fewer than 20 singles that month...also, pods of pilot's have been thru before, go to AKR & ask to see their video taken out in front of their docks....

I guess theres more chance on the North side then? Surely not on the South though...

September sometimes isn't too bad for whale sharks--a few years ago ILR's boats saw no fewer than 20 singles that month...also, pods of pilot's have been thru before, go to AKR & ask to see their video taken out in front of their docks....

They have been seen on the south side many times. It is far more common to see them near Utila than Roatan though.

The reef system is shallow on the top on the south side, but the water past that is not. If you look at a map showing depths you will see that it is a very short distance from shore to water that is thousands of feet deep.

Later, Hawk.

Fantasy isn't the best dive Op there. But the dive sites are great and the value is amazing. You should have a great time!

Cheers!

Codman, you mentioned that Fantasy is not the best dive op there, in your opinion who is?

I'll be totally honnest. As much as I enjoyed Fantassy island, the dive shop wasn't too hot. But what do you expect at such a low price? I've been to a few dive destinations and doing my DM course been in contact with many dive operators in a major tourist destination. And the FI dive operation is sloppy. Sorry, it's true. Large groups... DMs are more there to guide than DM... The rental equipment was dismal... The dive briefing was mediocre... The Nitrox blending (or filling because it was probably pre-blended to 32%) was sloppy...:shakehead: On the good side, the boat captains were excellent! The boats were well adapted to the diving. And the DM did monitor/ check everybody,s air consumption and max depths.

All in all, not the kind of dive operator I would want to dive with if I was a beginner with little experience! But for people who know what they are doing and can take care of themselves, it's great value! And the diving is great!

Honnestly from what I saw I would not recommend them for beginners or for doing certifications (although I didn't do any with them; someone else might share their personal experience on this). But anybody who is capable of taking care of themselves and their buddy, I would say go for it. The deal is in my oppinion the best there for diveaholics!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Codman, you mentioned that Fantasy is not the best dive op there, in your opinion who is?

codman, I think u phrased it perfectly! FI is not the place if you need extra care and feeding. If you have equipment problems best to have them ferry u over to CCV where they have an excellent dive shop. I would go back for the value. The food really did not work well for me though... Hope the new owners polish the place up a bit.

I guess theres more chance on the North side then? Surely not on the South though...

The reason I know is our son lived there for 3.5+ years straight DMing/instructing/ & doing UW photography in the early part of this decade....One day during that month when he was @ ILR(all north & west end diving) his boat, they were running 2 that week, saw a different whaleshark on all 3 dives----the other boat saw none.....It's all blind luck, half of the resort was estactic that night @ supper the other half mad as hell.....lol....That's when he reported to us they saw 20+ single whalesharks that September...

Here's some of the tape he shot while working @ the photoshop of AKR(it's on VCR tape that I recorded with my digital camera from the tv & put on my photobucket site..)--That whaleshark actually ran into him(he was the only one in the water) & shut his camera off when it knocked him over & his finger came off the camera trigger.....click link..

Roatan old tapes :: AKR promo tape video by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Back
Top Bottom