Dragging tanks along floor--would you care?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they can't pick up your tanks maybe they need to hit the gym. I have a piece of carpeting in my truck just to avoid that kind of stuff. I lift and carry em when tranpsorting. I never drag them and nobody else better either or they'll be replacing them at some point. Using a piece of carpet or rug is also better for the vehicle and they slide in and out easier without scratching anything.

I don't have my own tanks yet, but when I do I'd expect my dive shop to treat them better than dragging them along the floor. Just my .02

Is there a max flaw dept that visual inspection allows. A scratch or gauge is considered a flaw.....

I'm marginally upset with this treatment (obviously enough to make a post about it)--seems like unnecessary treatment that can shorten the life of the tank--if I can feel the gouges after one instance, what'll it be like after 100? However, my buddies don't really seem to mind. So I beseech the Internets-is this at all typical? Am I being overly sensitive towards a big 80lb chunk of metal?

Ken,

Whether this materially impacts the longevity of your tanks, I have no idea. Maybe it is just like a dent on your car.. it doesn't really affect how long the car will be usable. So you know, if your car already has dings and scrapes, why would you mind if the dealer adds a new dent here and there and generally treats your car like poo whenever you have it serviced? Right?

Personally, this is the kind of crap that compels me to drive a half hour away to visit the other dive shop - the one that you and I normally frequent. I'm not saying that all is perfect at the other dive shop. But I will say that the owner there bends over backwards to make sure that the customers (and their gear) are treated with some measure of respect.

Oh, and back to your question, i don't think it is typical to have "gouges" on the bottom of your tanks. Some of our friends have tanks that have "worn down" the paint of their faber tanks but understand, those are painted tanks and those friends of ours dive like 5x the amount that you and I do.

I can't comment on whether or not this is typical behavior from dive shops in general (treating customer's gear like poo) however, I will say that based on my prior experience with the dive shop in question, it does not surprise me one bit.

I'm marginally upset with this treatment (obviously enough to make a post about it)--

Can I make the suggestion, as somebody who has stepped in plenty of #2, that this might be better taken up directly with the shop in question instead of forming an internet lynch-mob (with divers from as far away as PA and NY weighing in?)

get a rope...just kidding! as someone who joined scubaboard to stop a lynch-mob, i agree. however, i think that the way they handled your tanks was completely wrong. definitely needs to be addressed and redressed. i would never treat someone's (our my own) gear that way.

Can I make the suggestion, as somebody who has stepped in plenty of #2, that this might be better taken up directly with the shop in question instead of forming an internet lynch-mob (with divers from as far away as PA and NY weighing in?)

Thanks again everyone. I agree with the above, and hope that this thread doesn't spin out of control unnecessarily.

1) I'm trying not to identify the shop as I haven't spoken to them about it yet, and I appreciate all of you who have respected that that and have refrained yourselves :)

2) I forgot the power of the "New Posts" feature - obviously posting in NorCal isn't a perfect way to limit responses locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom