Scalloping questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Jim actually bagged his limit in six minutes last spring.

That's great, but how long did it take him to bag his limit on portholes? Hah! See you guys on the first charter in April. I can taste the scallops already.

LobstaMan

Not even close to that limit. Here is the last one I got.

Attachments

• Porthole.jpg
    Porthole.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 63
Portholes are nice but not nearly so tasty wrapped in bacon and tossed on the grill. Is your April dive a scallop dive? Sign me up if it is.

Haven't been around much lately, been too wrapped up in other things, new job, etc. But Alice and I are headed to the Keys in a couple of weeks. 10 dives in three days and all the narcosis you can handle at night.

The other thing that might interest you guys is that I'm taking a one week course in hypebaric medicine in Texas the last week in Feb. Then I'll be working per diem at a hyperbaric chamber here at work.

This ends the hijacked portion of this thread, we now return you to scallops.

Mmmmm. Love me some scallops. Fran dropped Al and I onto a hot bed last fall. We didn't max out but we still have some in the freezer. But I want more. Mmmm, April 1. I'll be sure to have that day off.

Paulthenurse

Hey Paul, Looking at the calendar, it seems the 4th. of April will be our first day. I forwarded your message to Capt. Jim. The 2009 schedule will be posted soon. Capt. Pat

Portholes are nice but not nearly so tasty wrapped in bacon and tossed on the grill.

That's like making a boiled mustard and Cheerios pizza and then saying "I don't like pizza!!!!" No one in their right mind would serve port holes grilled with bacon, it just isn't done!

I highly recommend taking the the PADI Artifact Cooking specialty to avoid any more such problems in the future.

Seriously though, Paul, that hyperbaric medicine course sounds interesting. Please post about your experience after you finish.

And just to try to sound on topic.... scallops are good. :D

Last edited:
That's like making a boiled mustard and Cheerios pizza and then saying "I don't like pizza!!!!" No one in their right mind would serve port holes grilled with bacon, it just isn't done!

I highly recommend taking the the PADI Artifact Cooking specialty to avoid any more such problems in the future.

Don't give them any ideas, before you know it they'll be marketing it as a course for new divers. "Do you need to see my card?"

Don't give them any ideas, before you know it they'll be marketing it as a course for new divers. "Do you need to see my card?"

True enough....

Good luck with the hyperbaric course.

Back on topic, we have sea scallops south of Cape Cod, but not much scallop diving because the scallops live deeper to find the colder temperatures they like. South of Cape Cod they are usually found >130 ft (40m) and further from shore, often in federal waters where they are off limits to recreational harvest.

Not even close to that limit. Here is the last one I got.

Nobody likes a show-off, Pat. Seriously, I didn't see yours coming out of the water, but from the pic it looks like you did a nice job cleaning it up. Looks very nice. Has Jim cleaned his up yet? If the first dive is on April 4th, I'll have to pass. Spending that weekend in DC w/ the boss. We go once a year or so. Family friend has a condo down there. Save some scallops for me.

Jimmie O

Back
Top Bottom