Dry suit neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried El Mar, I hear they have some. If not them, try Sports Chalet, they don't have any for "sale", but they keep a stock of brand new seals in the back that they would probably be willing to sell you. I know they've moved all their dry suit stock to the Tempe location, so give them a shout and see what happens. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

- Ali

I'm sure several people will help you, especially if you're going to the social Thursday. I have a book I can lend you, and a roller, and some other stuff, but I won't be able to make it on Thursday, unfortunately. PM me if you really truly can't find anybody. It's not all that hard, just a little nerve-wracking the first time.
I've only done latex seals, BTW. If you're talking neoprene, I'm afraid I can't help much.
Get going on getting the old one off, and cleaning the seal surface. After that, it's not that hard to do.

I am in emergency need of a neck seal replacement for a trip next weekend.
Does ANYONE locally do them? The seals should be here on Monday and I'm leaving for Cali on Thursday. I'll have to cancel the trip otherwise as I dont have a wet suit.

Thanks!

Call Rich. Or the the grumpy one :)

I think Frankie at Scuba Specialties does them.

And this is why I learned to replace my own seals. It's an invaluable skill and doesn't take long. In fact, I pulled an old neck seal off yesterday (took 5 minutes) and will be putting the new one on today. This will take about 1/2 an hour, then a 2-3 hour wait, followed by another 1/2 hour. Then done.

And this is why I learned to replace my own seals. It's an invaluable skill and doesn't take long. In fact, I pulled an old neck seal off yesterday (took 5 minutes) and will be putting the new one on today. This will take about 1/2 an hour, then a 2-3 hour wait, followed by another 1/2 hour. Then done.

Any special tools required?

Any special tools required?

Hair dryer. Use it to heat up the seam to make the old seal come off easier. Start peeling the old seal off and then just work your way around the neck opening. Once it's off, work on the old cement/sealent. You don't need to take it all off. Just get enough off to give yourself a smooth surface and edge to work with.

Large bowl or jar (like a Costco industrial size mayonnaise jar). Put it upside down in your suit at the neck to give yourself a form to work around. Your suit should be inside out if the seal is glued on the inside. Turn the neck seal inside out and place it on the bowl/jar. Set it in place. Peel back the bottom edge of the seal so the fold meets the dry suit neck.

Flux brush (available at your local hardware store in the plumbing section). Apply 3 coats of sealant to the dry suit and the neck seal waiting 10 minutes in between applications. After the 3rd coat, carefully unfold the neck seal onto the dry suit. Start on one end and work your way around being careful to not create any creases or folds. The cement is very tacky and once both sides touch you will have a difficult time fixing any imperfections. Once the entire seal is in contact with the dry suit, apply pressure around the neck. You can use a roller, but I always just use my hands. Inspect your work to make sure it looks like you have created a seal. Let cement dry for 2-3 hours.

When you return. Measure and cut a length of seam tape to apply along the inside seam. Apply 3 coats of sealant to the seam tape and the seam (just wide enough for the seam tape), 10 minutes apart. After the 3rd coat, careful work the seam tape around the seam applying pressure as you go. Make sure you have some overlap at the end. You'll need to apply a little more cement on the first end you set in place so the overlapped end will stick. Apply pressure around the seam tape. Let cement dry for 2-3 hours.

You are pretty much done at this point. I go through the added measure of putting a bed of aquaseal along both edges of the seam tape and letting that dry another 2-3 hours. This takes about 5 minutes to do.

It's real easy to do. I started doing this a few years ago and now I always have spare neck and wrist seals at home and can replace seals as needed. I just reorder seals as needed to keep my stock up.

If you want to attempt this, but want to talk about it, call me at 850-272-7484.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom